Re-using DV Tapes and is Pro really Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 30th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Re-using DV Tapes and is Pro really Pro

First off I am mainly using a JVC JYHD10u ( HDV camera) for most taping recently if this pertains to my question.

Has anyone experimented with the re-use or taping over multiple times on a DV Tape? Are there numbers/info on the degredation of quality anywhere?

I bought some Pro 63 minute tapes for twice the money of a standard DV tape at say Circuit City or Best Buy, Is this worth it and why ( if possible) I cant seem to find info on either of these issues.

Thank you so much
Mark
Mark Paschke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Mark,
a search of the Long Balck Line will reveal this subject has been discussed at length however, IMO and only My Opinion, I do not reuse tapes at all ever. I use Panasonic 63's in 2 PD150's and an old (1995) VX1000. I don't change brands or types and in over 700 hours on each of the PD150s I've not had any problems of note with either the cameras or the tape. I run them in the VX1000 as well when I use it and although I've only been using those tapes for about 2 1/2 years I haven't had a problems with the 1000 either. If you go online to taperesources or pro-tape (both dot com) you will find they have tapes at generally much lower prices than you will pay at best buy,circuit city or the like.

Search thru the tape forum and you'll find that no matter what tape you use most everyone sticks with one manufacturer and one type from that manufacturer. Fewer problems that way.

Hope that helps,
Don B.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

From my understanding, re-using a tape does not necessarilly mean a reduction in quality or dropouts, but increases the chance of tape wear resulting in more debris being left on your recording head. The more the tape passes over the head, the weaker it gets I guess. For the costs of tapes vs cost of the camera, I will not re-use either. So my vote, is build the costs into your productions!
Chris Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line