tape change on gl2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 20th, 2004, 10:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

tape change on gl2

ok heres the deal. i have had my gl2 for just about 1 year now. the whole time i have been using panasonic dvc tapes. and was wondering if it would do anything to my camera now to use only sony premiums? any thoughts, i know that switching brands isnt good for the heads, cna i get away with using a head cleaner before using the sonys? (im planning on sticking with the sonys, wont be getting another brand) you thoughts....

thanks in advance.

alex b
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Switch brands if its convenient. If you experience some dropouts or strong artifacting, run the cleaner, but don't just do it in anticipation of a problem. BTW, I'm just curious...why are you switching tape stocks?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 03:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

well i have read that most people i talk to prefere the sony tapes (that they somehow produce a higher quality image). the reason i am switching is i have some friends who all have prosumer cameras (vx2000 and vx2100) and were getting tapes in bulk and asked me if id like to go in on it with them. so i figured id save money and get a better quality image (in theory) thanks for the advice.

alex b
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Because the video signal being recorded to tape is digital, there is NO difference in image quality among tape DV tape stocks. It 's like saying a certain brand of blank CD reproduces higher quality sound. All that may differ between tape brands is actual tape strength/size (preventing or promoting breakage, but usually rare on 60-63 minute tapes), and lubricant, which may or may not cause dropouts and artifacting depending on what other kinds of lube are already on your heads. So, in reality, Sony tapes will not record a better picture than any other dv tape.

The only thing I've ever heard about Sony's is that once you use them going to another brand proves very difficult. I hope this isn't true becuase I swap brands all the time without problems, but the tape I've been using now is my first Sony...we'll see.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line