inside info on DV Decks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 30th, 2004, 04:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

inside info on DV Decks

Hi,

I kinda need some inside info on this "mini"DV decks, I planning (need one) on getting one.
I looked all over the Web and this is what i found (will be buying from B&H):
Panasonic AG-DV2500 (which can't record Pal so that one will drop from my list)
JVC BR-DV3000U
Sony DSR11
Sony GVD 1000E

I use a XL1s to shoot (4:3 and 16:9 in frame model),
has anybody experience any issues capturing Footage from this Decks to a Computer?
I have PowerMac G5 with Final Cut Pro. Also as far as I understand if I upgrade to a XL2 or any other REAL 16:9 format camera. There should be no Problem with this Decks correct.
Maybe somebody can introduce to a different Deck.

Oh yeah I like to have the feature to transfer 16:9 footage to VHS from the Deck.

Thank allot Guys

Shaggy
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Have you looked at the Sony DSR 25? It is a step up from the DSR 11. The biggest improvement: SMPTE Timecode.
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The Panasonic website shows that the AG-DV2500 can record and play back PAL/NTSC DV (doesn't convert).
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=AG-DV2500

16:9 images are recorded the same way as 4:3 images, except the 16:9 images have a different pixel aspect ratio. The images are squished to fit the 720X480 dimensions of the DV format. If you view this footage on 4:3 equipment, the images will also appear squished. But as far the decks go, they all handle the footage fine.

Do you need to make DVCAM masters? If not, I'd look at the Panasonic deck. It has audio meters, headphone jack, and handles 7.5IRE setup (your VHS dubs will look darker without it, unless you have a proc amp).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey thanks,

If the AG-DV2500 can Record and Play back Pal & NTSC then that’s the one.
I guess B&H just got there info wrong on the AG-DV2500 (I hope, hate bad surprises)
Its also cheaper then Sony DSR-11.

Do you have any experience how well the AG-DV2500 Communicates with the PowerMac G5 and/or Canon XL1s, there?
Cause on the Panasonic Page the AG-DV2500 is not compatible with Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD
Thanks Guys for helping me out.

Shaggy
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

my choice

Despite some really heavy knocks on the JVC BR-DV3000U, I have used one since last spring (200 hours on the drum) and it has performed flawlessly for me in every tough task I have given it. I use it daily. It is portable, PAL/NTSC switchable, 12v field ready, back-up programmable, small in size, big in features and totally professional. I use it with a Mac Powerbook G4, with a gig of ram, FCP and several cameras.
I cannot say enough.
Frank Meek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line