Sony GV-D300, will it do what I need it to? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 9th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony GV-D300, will it do what I need it to?

I posted this first in the general discussion area...didn't get much feedback. Hopefully here I will get better feedback.

I have been considering Sony's Mini-DV Walkman as a deck. Particularly the GV-D300. I got some questions though.
I am currently using a Canon XL1s and will be getting the XL2 in a couple days. I have a Mac G5, 2.5 ghz with Final Cut Pro HD and I also have a PC with Premiere 6.5. I don't use Premiere much for editing but I like to have it available just in case. Right now I use exclusively Mini-DV.

These are the things I would like to do:

- Create Window burn VHS tapes from the deck to my VCR with the timecode and tape information displayed on the VHS.

- Stripe/black tapes

- Capture footage from the deck to both of my editing systems, not at the same time of course.

- Make tape dubs with my camera and the deck...hopefully I can do that and make the timecodes excately the same.

- Record onto the mini-dv format from an outside source, like VCR, cable signal, computer monitor output. (I have the necessary equipment to do that I just want to make sure the DV deck can receive an input signal and record it.)

Do any of y'all know if it is possible to do this with the Sony GV-D300 deck? Or could you recommend a comparable deck that can handle all these tasks? My budget is around $800. Of course, the less I spend the better. From what I hear about the JVC decks, I don't think I want to run with one of those. I heard they have some compatability issues with Macs, Canons, and Sony tape stock, which I exclusively use. But if y'all haven't heard of any of these problems with JVCs, please debunk me.

Thanks!
Kevin Storm Jorgensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line