Tapes & Sheet Magnets at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tapes & Sheet Magnets

Is there enough magnetic power for a sheet magnet such as 5'x1' truck sign to erase tapes if it is draped over a camera bag with tapes inside?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 07:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Possible, yes - Likely... not so sure. Assuming the tapes are in their cassettes, and the bag is between the sign and the magnets, the risk would be minimized, but not negated

You can always test the premise with a scratch tape and magnet.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:45 AM   #3
Major Player

I hope (and I'm assuming) that you are asking because this happened to you already, not because you do this as a standard practice. Aside from the possibility of erasing the tape, introducing a magnetic field to any of your video and audio gear could potentially cause a problem. Why risk it?
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Oh no. It hasn't happened to me at least by me doing it but almost did on a project I was working on. The magnet signs were placed in a seat near some tapes in a case by a p.a. and I saw it and rushed over and moved them farther away. Noone else thought they were strong enough to do any damage. To me, any magnets near tape is not good, not even cell phones and pagers which both have magnets to make them vibrate.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #5
Major Player

While you should never risk putting magnets near your equipment, those car magnet signs are deceptively weak. Their magnetic ability is due to their large area of a "weak" magnetic surface. I doubt that they would have done damage, but I too wouldn't have risked it to find out.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line