The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:10 AM   #181
Major Player

i dunno, im getting broadcast quality video from DV. that is my standard though.
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:40 AM   #182
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Erik Selakoff : I don't know much about the 25 or the 1800 but I've had the DSR11 for 6 months now & it's great. Worth every penny. -->>>

ditto
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 04:28 AM   #183
New Boot

Hello,

I also have the HR-DVS3U and have been having the same problem as Lorinda. What's the secret to getting this to work with XP Pro?

Lyle
Lyle Pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 05:43 AM   #184
Major Player

I'm using the same deck w XP-Pro and never knew there was a problem. I'm also using Premiere 6.5 so not sure if that makes any difference but I would be glad to share any settings you may be interested in. I do know that I did not load any drivers ect..
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #185
Major Player

Eric,

If your response to Lorinda is something that others could learn by, could you repeat it here?

Cheers!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #186
Wrangler

Hi Guys,

Eric thought maybe my cheap firewire card could be causing a problem. I bought a Pyro card but it didn't help.

Back at the shop where I bought the deck, we conducted some tests. We ruled out XP as the problem, because it worked fine on two PCs there. Interestingly enough, tapes from other cameras looked great through the deck, including one shot with a GL1. We checked our tapes from those shot back when each of our cameras was new, to those shot recently--all had artifacts and audio drop-outs, ruling out dirty heads.

We then looked at our tapes in a Sony deck (cost around $2000; sorry, I didn't ask what model) and our stuff looked just fine.

All the dealer can figure is that our XL1s's--both of them--have misalignments and that the JVC deck can't handle the error correction as well as a higher-end deck.

My first camera is in California right now for service and repair. If they correct any misalignment, I might not be able to playback the old tapes with it. This could get interesting.

Hope this is of some help to you, Lyle, though not good news. We were able to return the deck and will just use the cameras till they wear out.
Old July 24th, 2003, 10:46 AM   #187
Regular Crew

Hello, Nigel.

My e-mail to Lorinda suggested swapping out her capture card for a different model. My suggestion was based on her description of "taking the deck to a recording shop, they hooked it up to two different PC's using XP, and it captures "beautifully" , and trying the least expensive fix first.

The card she had, and the card she tried were both sub-$50.00 cards. The second card she tried was a "Pyro", but that didn't fix her problem.

Without actually being there, it's difficult to picture and troubleshoot exaclty what is going on. I have a similar deck that I connect to a Win 98 machine, and an XP machine, and neither machine has viewed the deck as a piece of hardware that required a driver. It works seamlessly - as it is suppose to.

It's a mystery to me....
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 10:59 AM   #188
Wrangler

Sorry Lyle--I forgot the original question about the error message with XP Pro. That one is an absolute mystery, because with the new firewire card, the first time I tested the machine I didn't get the error message, though the results on the monitor were the same. When we tried the new card in another PC, however, we still got the 'searching for A/V tuner' and subsequent error message! Talk about frustration...
Old September 3rd, 2003, 01:35 PM   #189
Regular Crew

Consumer Deck ?

Are there any consumer decks for Mini DV that wont cost you an arm and a leg (for the house)
Old September 3rd, 2003, 03:06 PM   #190
Wrangler

Not really. Depends on what your body parts are worth.

$1200 is about the minimum for a deck. Many people use a cheap minidv cam. Some chose one that will also transcode so they can capture and playback analog.

At $1200, they don't stand up to much heavy use. I've purchased a few of the JVC dual decks for the local college. They work OK and will transcode from VHS/S-VHS directly to the DV connector and vice-versa. But they are not nearly as rugged and reliable as my Sony DSR-20. Course I could buy 2 of the JVC consumer decks for the single Sony.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 08:03 PM   #191
Wrangler

I lead the "Camcorder as a deck" camp. At around $350 for a basic one, which is all you need, you can throw them in the garbage and buy a new one every year or two, compared to the price you pay for the cheapest miniDV deck.
Plus, you can use them as portable miniDV TV/VCRs with the built in LCD, which is a great feature.

Oh, and guess what? They are also video cameras! :)
Old September 3rd, 2003, 10:41 PM   #192
Wrangler

Do understand that there is a world of difference between the tape transport functions of a pro deck and a miniDV camera. If time is not important and you don't need to record anything over 60 (83) minutes in SP, hten they may be right for you.

I need to be able to master 3 hours of video onto one tape and occasionally have to ship that length of tape off for duplication or to a broadcast customer. Being able to ship out DVCam tapes long or small is important to my business.
Old September 15th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #193
New Boot

SONY Mini-DV Walkman Reliable Deck Option?

Howdy ho,

Due to some recent problems with my Canon XL-1 I need to invest in a play deck to digitize from. I am one of many poor filmmakers so am not able or willing to spend thousands of dollars for a broadcast quality deck.

How viable are the Sony GV-D1000, GV-D300 and the GV-D300 Walkman series as options? I need to be able to connect the deck to my laptop via firewire and I need the deck to be able to read tapes that were recorded with either the SONY PD-150 or the Canon XL-1.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Beth
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #194
Major Player

I believe but am not totally sure that these DV walkmans have the same transports in them as the camcorders.A lot of folks here use inexspensive camcorders as decks to transfer footage to computer etc..
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #195
New Boot

Thanks, I think I'm attracted to getting a cheapy deck as I could then make dubs from my camera.

Just wanted to make sure the walkman could play tapes that were created from either a Canon OR a SONY.

Basa

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line