The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #196
Major Player

Yes DV is just 1s and 0s when you break it down it should play the miniDV tapes back fine. If the tapes are recorded in DVCAM mode on the 150 you may have trouble with certain cams not being able to play back the tape though.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #197
New Boot

Thanks Matt, have you used or do you know of anyone who has used the SONY Walkman Mini-DV players as their playback and record deck?

I'm on the verge of buying one through SONY as they seem to be the most affordable.

best,
Old September 16th, 2003, 07:01 AM   #198
Regular Crew

Only the D100 is miniDV according to the Sony site. The lesser numbered models are all digital8...not the same by any measure.

For the price of the GV-D1000 you could buy a chep palmcorder and have some change left for accessories. (Not to mention the spare cam!)

I would also wonder if these WalkMan devices have consumer decks (same as in palmcorders) or pro decks? If they are consumer decks, then a palmcorder might be a better value.
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #199
Major Player

No i do not use or a Sony DV walkman deck but I'm sure they work great just a little exspensive for me.You could get a Panasonic or low end JVC deck for about the same price but they dont include the built in LCD screen but im sure the tape transports are more robust and they have more in/out options as well. i do use a Sony PC-110 to transfer my VX2k footage to my mac. The PC-110 was by no means a "cheap' cam but it was the first cam i bought and since the VX2k I dont use the 110 to shoot with much anymore except when a 2nd cam is needed.I would opt for the inexspensive camera over the walkman deck.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #200
Regular Crew

I've been using the gvd-1000 for over a year now and it works great, never have had a single problem with it. The lcd screen comes in handy as well. I'd say it's totally worth it.

Corey
Corey MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2003, 10:11 PM   #201
Regular Crew

I'm using a JVC GR-D30 as a deck. Got it from B&H Photo Video for $349. It uses the IEEE 1394 Firewire, has a flip out color screen and the standard b&w finder. It's cheap, works great and comes in handy as a backup cam. Here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=273696&is=REG
Roze Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #202
New Boot

Thanks all for the resources. I was able to get the GV-D1000 financed through SONY interest free for 12 months and I'm able to use it as a record deck from my camera to make dubs as well.

Will let you know how it works out.
Old September 18th, 2003, 02:08 AM   #203
Regular Crew

sony dv walkman

I have a friend whos been using one for a while with no problems, one thing if you havent already bought from sony...bh has it for about $250 dollars less than the sonystyle website. (or it did last week think it was 1049.00)

m
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:31 PM   #204
New Boot

GV-D900

For years I used a Sony GV-D900. It is like the newer GV-D1000, but better in that it had a 5.5" screen instead of the current 4" screen. The screen and its portability set it apart from usind a cheap DV cam as a deck. The 5.5" screen made it quite practical to show clients or others your footage, or to use it for proofing or just enjoying your footage while still out in the field. Also making it far better than a cam as a deck is the fact that the controls are much more accessible on the GV-D900 (or GV-D1000) than on a camera. This matters for simple things like cueing up or reviewing manually (not by device control from your NLE).

Jonas
Dr. Jonas R. Skardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 01:32 PM   #205
Major Player

minidv deck

I have a cannon xl1s, and I was looking into purchasing a miniDV deck to get my video onto my computer via firewire connection. Which deck would you recommend?
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 02:23 PM   #206
Wrangler

Do a search on miniDV decks. This topic must be one of the top 5 most frequent discussions.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:39 PM   #207
Regular Crew

found this on :

http://www.cdromshop.com

Yes, we ship to Belgium on a daily basis.

Minidv/Svhs Combo Deck - Firewire Enabled, Built-In Editing Features
Price: US$1236.82 = 1169.96 (IN STOCK!)

would this be any good ?? someone using this please ?
I can't find any reviews about this deck

thx
jacko
Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:56 PM   #208
Wrangler

You don't give enough information to know of which deck you are speaking.

the dual JVC decks have some bad press. I purchased 2 second-generation units for the local community college and they have been great. SVHS/VHS & miniDV with analog and digtial transfers to and from the computer (Apple G4's)
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:06 PM   #209
Regular Crew

Mike,

thx for the reply

yes it's JVC indeed

If it has had bad press, then I'll forget about it
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:21 PM   #210
Slash Rules!

Um. . .this maybe dumb, but just how bad IS using the cam for playback, capture, etc.? I don't do it every day, but maybe a few hours a week of rewinding, capture, etc. Also. . .while we're at it. . .any bad side effects of using the camera as a D/A converter for use with an external monitor (Vegas 4).
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line