The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 5th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #241
New Boot

O.K. I did another search on the JVC GR-D30 instead of the 30u and found a few more threads. I guess the cameras are similar. I would still like to know what the most popular unit is for transfer.
Jason Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #242
Regular Crew

Small DVCAM Deck ?

Hello,
I have a PD150 and don't really want to use it as the deck to import all my footage into the NLE. I was wondering if Sony make a small DVCAM deck that I can use for importing all my footage. If not, would a Mini DV deck work for my DVCAM tapes, that is if they make one? Thanks so much for your help,
Todd
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #243
Regular Crew

Check out the Sony DSR-11. It is a small DVCAM deck along with being Sony’s cheapest desktop system.
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #244
New Boot

Recommend me a Mini DV camera to use as a deck...

I got the DVX-100A and I do not want to use that camera as my deck. Can anyone recommend me a good camera that is cheap and will work well for my purpose? Thanks.
Tyler Gred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #245
Major Player

Any cam will work as long as it's dependable- the signal will be the same when transferring it through firewire between a cheapo DV cam to a pro cam. I personally have a DVX100a and I use my old Panasonic DV852 which was a great cam a year ago and still is today. They discontinued the model but BHPHOTO still has it brand new for like 400 bucks or so. I'd reccomend it.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #246
Major Player

Everyone recomends doing this it seems, but I wonder if it costs more than $500 to replace the worn out parts in your DVX? It seems that if it's only like $300 or so to send it to the manufacturer for repair, you save money by doing so. Anybody know what this repair costs on a Pany and Canon?

If I'm going to buy a separate drive, I'll spend $1100 on the JVC dual miniDV and S-VHS deck.
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #247
Trustee

Replacing the tape mechanism in my Canon XL1 cost me a little bit more than 1000$.
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #248
Major Player

Daaaang! Yeah, I'm buying the JVC deck.
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #249
Major Player

I think it's more of the inconvenience of sending the cam off that really turns me off. I bought the 4 year mack camera warranty as well but I only have one DVX100a and no backups other than my DV852 which won't really cut it any more. I want to keep the DVX by my side for as long as possible before having to send it off for head maintenance etc., but maybe that's just me. Unless you plan on doing an extensive amount of rewinding etc. of your DV tapes (just get a DV tape rewinder), I could never justify buying a seperate deck for around a G, unless I was in a professional environment, which I'm not. If my tape mechanism ever did go out and I was about to face a $1,000 replacement or repair fee, I'd just get a Quick Stream or other Hard Drive based system and say goodbye to tapes forever. It's the future of our cameras anyways..... Just MO.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #250
Major Player

Sure, but it seems like a waste of a whole extra camera to spend $400-500 on a little dvdeck with no "deck" features.

I'm just saying, if your willing to spend $500, you should probably wait a little while and spend twice that on a real deck rather than waste it on a little camera you'll never use.
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #251
Trustee

I like the idea of using a little camera as a deck. First, it is less expensive, second, it can record images!!! :) Those littles cameras can serve you well on vacations, travel or even on an ocasionnal 2 cameras shot.
Old February 27th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #252
Inner Circle

some advantages I can come up with:
A- rewinds and fast forwards faster (good for batch capture)
B- may have more inputs and outputs, and can convert analog-digital
C- tape mechanism lasts longer
D- better quality electronics for converting analog-digital

For most people I don't think any of those advantages really help. A can save time, but most people capture the whole tape in one shot and don't sit around while a deck is batch capturing. B/D isn't necessary (your camera can do the job fine). C is the major reason for buying a deck, but really only applies to people who shoot hundreds of hours of footage. If you manage to wear out a $300 consumer camera (off eBay or whatever), then you've probably made a lot of money and didn't lose much money on the camera (I figure $200 versus buying a deck in the first place). In the opposite scenario, you've spend a bundle of cash on a deck and didn't use it enough to justify buying it (lost $500 or so). Not to mention a cheapo camera is good for family videos (not huge like 3CCD cameras).

Maybe I'm wrong?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #253
Contributor

I agree with Glenn.

My DCR-TRV900 has served me very well. Has analog in and out.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #254
Regular Crew

Yeah i'm also in the market for a cheap 1 chip to use as a vcr because i don't feel like ruining my 2100 just yet. just a stupid question though. even though they all say they have a ieee 1394 interface does that mean they also haev dv in capabilities or just dv out?
Steve LaClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:27 PM   #255
New Boot

I might be wrong but I thought IEEE 1394 is both in/out. Not sure though...
Tyler Gred is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line