The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 27th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #331
Regular Crew

There is no loss of quality when transferring from "el cheapo" at all. I also transferred some DVCAM recordings from Sony DSR370 without any problem or degradation in quality. It's either 0 or 1 and that's nice thing about digital video :-)
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #332
New Boot

Post editing

Do you use Premiere pro 1.5? I do.
I usually capture whole tape to computer and make many short clips.
In this way, I do not use much Camera while editing except exporting the final product to tape.
Is this the righjt way to do it?

What's the benefit having a deck other than saving Camera head?
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #333
Inner Circle

Depending on the deck and in addition to more robust heads, there is a stronger faster transport mechanism, more accurate for digital cuts, time code controll, dv/analog transcoding/pal/secam conversion, capacity for larger tapes (The DSR 11 for instance allows you to use the larger DVCAM tapes and format.... and other goodies.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #334
Inner Circle

the dsr 11 is a nice lil (oops little) unit i have to agree.. i jsut feel that the decks themselves are overpriced..

Paul, send me an email with ur fone number and ill give u call when i get it..

i mwaiting on sony to deliver the bugger, theyre being very slack with their gear lately and im not happy..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #335
Trustee

i have a sony gv-d900, and based on my experiences, i would not recommend it to anybody... it's a pile of junk.

the buttons don't work like they should most of the time, and the tape often has to be re-inserted multiple times because of some bastard error message... sometimes i'll end up having to literally unplug the power supply from the wall before the deck will accept a tape.

and you can't fully turn off the power to the deck... if it's plugged in to the power supply, it's live, even with the power switch turned off, hence the need to unplug the power supply to get a cold boot of the deck.

it has also required multiple head cleanings, despite having less hours on it than my xl-1s does... fortunately i'm a tech, so i know how to clean vcr heads.

you can buy several el cheapo dv cameras for the cost of this deck, and if you get an extended warranty, you'll be able to get 'em repaired for nothing.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #336
New Boot

Thanks Dan

I was considering having this unit but your confession told me not to....

Thanks!
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #337
Inner Circle

The Panasonic decks look great on paper compared to the Sony DSR11.
lower price
adds 7.5IRE setup
headphone jack
audio meters (nice to have for dubbing tapes)
reads and records DVCPRO, reads DVCAM (doesn't write DVCAM unfortunately)

I can't say I have experience with this deck but it seems like a better choice than the DSR11. I have used a JVC SVHS/mini-DV (the cheapest real deck on the market) but I would avoid them.

If you don't really need a full blown deck, I'd probably try to pick up a used/cheap camcorder. Ebay and camera stores would be places to try if you are comfortable with that (be careful on eBay). If you manage to wear out the heads on a cheap camcorder then you know you may need a deck.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #338
Inner Circle

i use an old camcorder but ideally i woudl like a deck with a screen to use to show edits to clients without having the need to author a dvd.
Unfortunetaly budget is whats holding me back and i really dont need it when the MX500 im using has a 3 and half inch screen, while teh GDV1000 has a 4' screen, which really isnt all that much of a difference.. and ive got a camera to boot... ;)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:30 AM   #339
Regular Crew

Using trv30 for deck?

Workflow question--can I use my sony TRV30 as a deck--so I don't have to use the FX1 for this purpose? I'd use the TRV30 to capture, rewind, fast forward and print to tape--
Brandt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:46 AM   #340
MPS Digital Studios

Is the TRV30 mpeg2-ts (HDV) compatible? Rewinding and fastforwarding is fine, but you won't be able to play or record HDV footage on a non-HDV device.

heath
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:06 PM   #341
Regular Crew

I'm not sure I understand--I would want to shoot with the FX1--then take the miniDV tape out of the camera and put it into my regular miniDV (standard def), and then firewire xfer into my pc. After editing in an HDV compatible NLE, output then to another miniDV tape to my standard def miniDV camera. Then, take the miniDV tape out of the my camera and put into the FX1 for playback on a hi-def monitor/tv.

Basically--is there any way around using the FX1 camera as a deck--so I don't have to use the heads too much?

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Is the TRV30 mpeg2-ts (HDV) compatible? Rewinding and fastforwarding is fine, but you won't be able to play or record HDV footage on a non-HDV device.

heath -->>>
Old October 31st, 2004, 03:21 PM   #342
MPS Digital Studios

You can't do that with a mini-dv camera. It will play green or red video with no audio, because it can't decode the HDV signal. On the JVC HD10, you can flip the iLink (FireWire) output between DV and mpeg2-TS (HDV).

Therefore, you need to use the FX1 to transfer HDV from tape to PC. You'll also need special software to capture the HDV software, such as Aspect HD.

So, you need special HDV software and your HDV camera to get your HDV footage into your computer.

Hope this helps,

heath
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:54 PM   #343
Barry Wan Kenobi

Right -- just because the tape is the same, doesn't mean that the data's the same.

If you want to shoot standard-def miniDV on your FX1, then you could do what you describe.

But if you want to shoot in HDV mode, you must have an HDV device (deck or camera) to play the footage back. A miniDV camera will choke on an HDV tape, unable to play anything back.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:01 PM   #344
Regular Crew

I thought that might be the case--just wanted to verify it. You'd think a "consumer" level deck would sell well--but I haven't come across any, even for SD miniDV (at least inexpensive ones). Perhaps I'm over-reacting to those who say that using your camera as a deck can cut the camera's life in half--

Thanks for the quick responses--
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:40 PM   #345
MPS Digital Studios

If you shoot in HDV or SD, you will NOT be able to play it, only DV.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line