The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 24th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #376
Regular Crew

The DSR-11 is a great deck. If you can't afford it, I have a GV-D1000 (similar to teh GV-D300), which are just basically consumer VCRs for miniDV, with the added bonus of an LCD screen. I've used it for a few months now, it's been really helpful in many situations.

However, if you can afford the DSR-11 and don't need portability - get it.

Dennis
Dennis Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM   #377
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Palomaki : I've received good service from a Sonu DHR-1000 and a Sony GV-D300. Many people looking for a low cost solution with the bonus of providing a small, cheap backup camcorder) use a ZR-series (or other) camcorder . -->>>

I love the ZR canon camcorders for recording and playing back mini-dv from. Although don't lose the remote control because you need it for recording!

I have heard that the Sony camcorders all play back DV-CAM signals that have been recorded on mini-dv, whereas the ZR series does not, is this true?
Old January 1st, 2005, 10:13 AM   #378
Trustee

If you get a cheap camcorder to use as a deck be sure it has 16-bit audio playback. Some don't.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #379
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams : If you get a cheap camcorder to use as a deck be sure it has 16-bit audio playback. Some don't. -->>>

Mark, what happens if it doesn't have 16-bit playback and only has 12-bit playback? (I think this is the case with my Canon ZR60, used as a deck for footage captured on the DVX100A.)

Will the NLE not be able to recognize that the audio on the source tape is actually 16-bit quality?

Thanks.
Krishna
Krishna Narayanamurti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #380
Major Player

Krishna,

Your ZR 60 does have 16 bit playback.
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #381
Inner Circle

Some models of the JVC DV decks are the cheapest available, but many people report problems with them. It's ok if it won't cost much to refund it.

JVC has combo mini-DV/SVHS which are ok. The SVHS deck part doesn't work very well since it gets really confusing what is routed where. A seperate VHS/SVHS deck would be a better option.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #382
Contributor

<<<-- Originally posted by Alessandro Machi : ... I have heard that the Sony camcorders all play back DV-CAM signals that have been recorded on mini-dv, whereas the ZR series does not, is this true? -->>>

It is true that sony DV camcorders playback DV-CAM recorded tapes. I don't know if there are any other brands that do this as well. I know that JVC and Canon won't.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #383
Trustee

Krishna,

If your NLE preference is set to use 16-bit 48000 audio and you try to use 12-bit it will sound all distorted. I learned this the hard way a couple of months ago and had to redo some of the audio.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #384
Inner Circle

i like my Sony GDV1000 with the built in screen. I also carry it around and use it to demo presentations to potential Corp clients (REALLY handy for corporate) as there is no need for them to leave their office when i want to show off some work :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #385
Regular Crew

Deck of choice...

This is the reply I gave to a similar question on 11.27.04:

Despite some really heavy knocks elsewhere on the JVC BR-DV-3000U, I have used one since last spring (200 hours on the drum) and it has performed flawlessly for me in every tough task I have given it. I use it daily. It is portable, PAL/NTSC switchable, 12v field ready, back-up programmable, small in size, big in features and totally professional. I use it with a Mac Powerbook G4, with a gig of ram, FCP and several cameras.
I cannot say enough.
Frank Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #386
Major Player

If I understood correctly, the JVC deck playsback DV-CAM but WILL NOT record DV-CAM. Is this true?
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #387
Regular Crew

recording format...

Yes, you are quite correct. The BR-DV 3000 only records in the mini-DV format...but, the ability to import and otherwise use DV-CAM tapes provides somewhat broader opportunities in the pro realm. And, I shoot in this format (one of several), as well.
Also, as I have a moment to comment, there definitely have been those whose experiences are not as laudable as my own...but, I believe that many of the issues with the earlier units (apparently, I have a later version...or I'm exceptionally lucky), have been addressed.
I still think that it's a great unit for the money with many professional features that the dual VHS-Mini-DV units don't have. And, who in this business doesn't already own several-to-many VHS/S-VHS decks for the occasional quick client copy? Better to invest in dual-layer DVD recorders that are really the same price and are, (for the next couple of years, anyway), the way to produce digital copies.
Can there truly be a comparision between the dinosaur VHS and DVD's?
Frank Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #388
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Krishna Narayanamurti : <<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams : If you get a cheap camcorder to use as a deck be sure it has 16-bit audio playback. Some don't. -->>>

Mark, what happens if it doesn't have 16-bit playback and only has 12-bit playback? (I think this is the case with my Canon ZR60, used as a deck for footage captured on the DVX100A.)

Will the NLE not be able to recognize that the audio on the source tape is actually 16-bit quality?

Thanks.
Krishna -->>>

The way VHS works is most VCR's won't record in the four hour mode (known as LP), but ALL VCR's will play it back. I'm wondering if this same formula would apply to camcorders that don't record 16 bit audio, perhaps they will play it back if the tape has been already recorded in another camcorder at the 16 bit setting?
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:11 PM   #389
Major Player

Panasonic Camera, Sony Deck

Hey guys--I have a DVX100A and want to purchase a dv deck. Everyone seems to like the Sony DSR11, so I'm leaning to it. My only concern is if I have a Panasonic camera, should I stick with Panasonic for my deck? I know there are issues with different oils on heads and tape, and you never want to "cross streams" or use different tape stocks due to the oils gumming up. I only use Panny MQ tapes in my camera. If I use these tapes in the deck, will I be ok? Thanks!

Peter

P.S. Does anyone have experience with a Panny deck they like, just for comparison? Thanks!

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #390
RED Code Chef

All I can add is that as far as I understand it, is that decks should
be much more tolerable of head alignment issues etc. etc. They
are built to read as much different tapes as possible.

So I'd have to say it should be no problem, but then again, you
never know in the "real world", of course.

Hopefully someone else has some more hard answers for you.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line