The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 33 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 7th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #481
Inner Circle

Wade.

I think you will find the Sony GV-D1000 also supports DVCAM playback and capture on Premiere 6 and Premiere Pro 1. On PAL recordings it does. How it goes for NTSC I don't know.

If Premiere doesn't know what it is in Capture, select GV-D900. It can live with that.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #482
Regular Crew

Another question... What if you shoot in 24P?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I've not found a definative answer. (I've heard you can play back 24p on any mini dv device, but I don't know anyone who's done it sucsessfully...)
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #483
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lewis
Another question... What if you shoot in 24P?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I've not found a definative answer. (I've heard you can play back 24p on any mini dv device, but I don't know anyone who's done it sucsessfully...)
Me. I shot a music video with the XL2 in 24p mode, and played it back in the GV-D1000 to digitize into PPro 1.5. Maybe that's not the right way to do it, but it worked fine for me.
Wade Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #484
New Boot

Cheap alternatives -

JVC makes a dual svhs/miniDV w/ firewire for around 800...

...I've seen some folks use a cheapy minidv cam (250-300) for capturing 'cause they didn't want to wear out the heads/transport in their nice camera...

...just a thought...

best,-s
Seabrook Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #485
Regular Crew

DV camcorder as playback deck?

To save the heads on XL1s what is a good mini DV camera to playback the video? Can I just get a super cheap camera for this? Will image quality suffer at all? I'm looking for something to upload to PC as well as play on a tv. Would something like this work (just from a quick ebay search)?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canon-OPTURA-20-D...QQcmdZViewItem
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #486
Inner Circle

Yes.

Do a search, and you'll see that a lot of people go this route.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #487
Regular Crew

I was thinking of searching but couldnt think of a key word. I'll try "playback deck"....see if that works. Thanks.
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #488
Obstreperous Rex

You'll find dozens of threads on this topic in our Long Black Line forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #489
Regular Crew

Looking for feedback on Sony GV-D1000 miniDV deck

Has anyone used one of these decks? Is it a viable alternative to some of the higher priced decks, ie DSR11?
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #490
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Forge
Has anyone used one of these decks? Is it a viable alternative to some of the higher priced decks, ie DSR11?
If you do a Search on this forum, you'll find numerous discussions of the GV-D1000. I have one and it has been very useful. I never have to use a camcorder for playback and if I want to show a video off tape somewhere, I don't have to lug a big VCR around. It won't replace a pro model DSR11, but then what will replace the $1,500. or so extra, it would cost? If you are doing straight playing into another VCR or a computer, the 1000 may be all you need. It actually does most editing functions, including insert editing and audio dubbing. The viewscreen is nice and the Memory-Stick slot and USB port allow you to feed still pictures to a computer. It runs on camcorder batteries, so you can take it along in a big coat pocket, as a complete video or still picture display system. It also charges the batteries. You can use it easily to record a tape in the field from any camera with a FireWire, S-Video or composite output. I've even used mine to record from an RF output, with a small, plug-in adaptor that draws its power from a jack next to its inputs. Under a sliding hatch on its side, there is a hotshoe type of connector, that is a complete mystery to me. Perhaps it enables some added functions that Sony keeps secret?
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #491
New Boot

Quote:
Under a sliding hatch on its side, there is a hotshoe type of connector, that is a complete mystery to me. Perhaps it enables some added functions that Sony keeps secret?
I also keep wondering what that connector is for. I couldn't find a single website that would explain the purpose of it.

But my guess would be that it is for maintainance/repair purposes to connect the deck to some diagnostic tool. Or maybe for some intended functionality that Sony later decided not to implement.
Ales Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #492
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ales Marlin
I also keep wondering what that connector is for. I couldn't find a single website that would explain the purpose of it.

But my guess would be that it is for maintainance/repair purposes to connect the deck to some diagnostic tool. Or maybe for some intended functionality that Sony later decided not to implement.
You are probably correct about the hidden connector being for diagnostic purposes to assist with repairs. My Digital8 GV-D200 mini-VCR has the same fixture. What are the chances you'd ever find anyone ay Sony who either could or would tell you its purpose? You know, if that same type of connector was on their camcorders, people wouldn't rest until they knew the answer.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #493
Regular Crew

The "hidden connector" on the left side is a mount for a Sony Camera (CDX-V3). When I purchased mine (several years back) from B&H had it listed on their website as a kit. There is also a TV Tuner (TGV-100) that can attach there from what I can recall.

Last edited by Hart Boyd; March 19th, 2006 at 05:26 PM.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #494
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart Boyd
The "hidden connector" on the left side is a mount for a Sony Camera (CDX-V3). When I purchased mine (several years back) from B&H had it listed on their website as a kit. There is also a TV Tuner (TGV-100) that can attach there from what I can recall.
Well, it's good to have that resolved and now I can sleep well again. This wasn't a stealthy portal for spying into our homes, after all! I wonder if they'll upgrade the TV tuner to have D/A conversion, for after 2009?
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #495
New Boot

Unorthodox DV Deck

I in the midst of shooting a short film and was looking over monitoring options for editing. I was considering using a cheap DV cameras as a DV deck to run a preview monitor. Then it clicked when I was walking through the electronics section at walmart. I saw a DVD recorder with I*link or firewire in tor record from a camcorder.

Here's the question. Has anyone tried using a DVD recorder with firewire in as a DV preview monitor? If so, did it work?
Eli R Cantu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line