The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 18th, 2002, 03:30 AM   #46
Regular Crew

hi,
I can be wrong, but it seems that i-link does'nt have insert editing commands in it's "vocabulary". I've been working with Sony ES-3 NLE, which has both i-link and RS-422 control interfaces. Thru RS I was able to do insert editing, write to tape with timeline time code, and so on. Thru i-link I was only able to "dump to tape" and tape timecode had no any relevance with timeline time code. I used Sony DSR-70P recorder which also has both interfaces. Some recorders have "write with time code" option in menu, but that also did'nt help.
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2002, 07:10 AM   #47
jjprescott

Thanks Margus. I never thought about the I-Link not haveing the capability. I assumed (that old problem again) because the software (Premiere) has the option for entering a timecode, the deck would respond. Unfortunatly the JVC deck does not seem to have any other control interface.
Old June 23rd, 2002, 08:18 PM   #48
Wrangler

2nd camcorder for deck Optura Pi

OK, I think I'm going to do what has been suggested in the VHS Duplication thread, and buy a miniDV deck. Well actually a camcorder to use as a deck, since I could also use a backup camera/2nd camera on some sports projects and don't have the money for both.

In a different thread, I think Chris said that the closest single chip camera to the XL1 was the Canon Optura Pi with it's progressive scan CCD chip. This camera has DV in right?

I'm going to start looking for a used one locally, is there anything I should know about these? Any flaws, or recalls?

Also, any other suggestions of a 2nd choice to use besides the Optura Pi? My budget is around $650us, which is what I've seen a couple of used Pi's sell for.

Thanks!
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 05:49 AM   #49
Warden

I have used the Optura Pi for just what your proposing and it has worked fine with FCP as a playback source. I sold my last one about 6 weeks ago on ebay for $775. B & H ocassionaly has refurbished units for sale in the $600 range. Zotz, a sponsor, might also have refurbished units.

The tape eject opens from the bottom. It is kind of ackward, so be carefull when loading your master.

In lower contrast scenes the picture can almost match the XL1. they have always been reliablecameras and I have not had any service problems with them.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 10:19 AM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

<< The tape eject opens from the bottom >>

Incorrect -- the Optura Pi ejects the tape out of the back, so you can use it on a tripod. This is another reason why I like it so much. The newer Optura 100MC, the ZR series and Elura series all eject from the bottom.

Dylan -- All Canon DV camcorders have FireWire in. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 07:56 PM   #51
Wrangler

So I should be able to blend footage from the Optura Pi in with XL1 footage in frame movie mode and it not be obviously different?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 08:06 PM   #52
Warden

Sorry, I confused the Optura with the ZR's I've had. In well lit scenes the Optura image holds up very well to the XL1. In low light the noise was more noticeable in the Optura. Canon's site used to have footage of a program called Fooling Hitler or something to that effect. The Optura and the XL1 were both used in the production of the program. It wasn't noticeable where the Optura footage was used.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 07:53 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Dv Decks

Ok, give me the rundown on the Sony gv-d1000, d900 and d300...somebody...please? thinking about getting one for rough edit
Old June 27th, 2002, 07:57 PM   #54
Obstreperous Rex

They all use camcorder tape transports. The 900 has a flip-up LCD screen and the 300 doesn't. The 1000 is a 900 with the a Memory Stick and USB features.

These are neat and handy little units, but no different than using a 1-chip DV camcorder for the same purpose, as a small portable deck.

Old June 27th, 2002, 09:29 PM   #55
Trustee

I have the used the 300 model for the past 2 years. Flawless operation. While it is "just" a camcorder tape transport, I find it to be significantly more responsive (faster) during editing/capture than my gl1/xl1s.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2002, 09:45 AM   #56
Regular Crew

maybe it would be better choice to get DSR-11 from professional side. We have sold 2 pcs DSR-V10P (DVCAM analogue to d900) to our customers and both are problematic; and around 10pcs DSR-11, no problems so far. DSR-11 can write in both DV and DVCAM format, even in PAL if you wish. It also handles both large and small size cassetes. Price here is cheaper than for DSR-V10P (not sure what is name of this piece in US)

Margus
Old June 28th, 2002, 12:20 PM   #57
Obstreperous Rex

Margus, can you tell us about your business? Thanks,

Old July 16th, 2002, 03:40 AM   #58
Regular Crew

hi Chris,
my last mail was lost in internet space, i'll write it again
i work in small 3-person company. We are selling professional video stuff. I do also occasionally projects of editing suites and smaller studios. Have some knowledge about Sony ES-3 and FAST/Liquid Purple NLE-s, DVCAM series cameras and VTR-s. Have been working as a news editor in one local TV station back in '93-'95.

regards, Margus
Old July 16th, 2002, 03:32 PM   #59
Major Player

using inexpensive camcorder as a deck

I am looking for an inexpensive MiniDV camcorder (in the $400-$550 range) to use as a play deck. There are several models available with IEEE1394 (eg JVC GRDVL 120 and 320; Pana PVDV 51, 52; Canon ZR40, etc). The camcorder will have to stand up to lots of rewind, fast forward, and constant opening and closing of the tape door. I would be interested to know if anyone has had any mechanical problems with specific low-end units. I have been using a Canon ZR-10 for two years, but it's about time to retire it.

Thanks for the input,

Steve Siegel
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2002, 04:29 PM   #60
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This is a topic that has frequently been discussed so I think you'll find at least some ideas by just looking for "deck" with the Search function.

My opinion, fwiw, is that this is a bad strategy both economically and technically. Camera transports are not designed to "... stand up to lots of rewind, fast forward, and constant opening and closing of the tape door". They are also much slower at cueing than deck transports. Put simply, consumer camera transports are just not designed to withstand that level of use. Spending, say, $550 every year or two for a "bad deck" consumer cam just doesn't add up when for around $900-$1000 you can have a real deck that will probably last for many years.

Certainly, I realize that you may be under tight budgetary constraints. But the consumer-camera-as-editing-deck will cost you more and give you less.

Just my opinion, Steve.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line