The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 2nd, 2002, 02:27 PM   #106
Sponsor: JET DV

If you try a deck you will NEVER want to go back to using a camera. The decks are more robust and handle jogging and shuttling MUCH faster than a camera. Decks can also fast forward and rewind MUCH faster than any camera. Plus, the deck can stay connected to the computer and TV 100% of the time - no more connecting and disconnecting wires just to use a camera.

Decks are GREAT. I am using a Panasonic AG-DV2000 which has performed tremendously for nearly 3 years.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 02:41 PM   #107
Major Player

I guess it is a matter of preference. The deck appears to have advantages, but I usually just copy in my video and do everything else ont he computer, then if I need to keep a DV master I output the master back to the cam. Then again I am a novice and only do simply shoot and editing, maybe in a year or so when I move up I will think about it, but by then I'll want a secodn GL2 to do multi-angle shoots!
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2002, 04:05 PM   #108
Regular Crew

deck or B Cam

On the hunch that you will probably do more, rather than less, video I give a nod to a deck. I've had a Sony DHR-1000 for several years and it's been a work horse. It wasn't cheap and I'm sure there are better decks for less money (see Ken's suggestions) on the market now. Running a tape back and forth in a deck a few times is a totally different experience than doing the same moves with a camera's transport. I suppose if you a relatively certain you won't be doing any follow up projects you could go with the B cam.

FWIW
Old February 7th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #109
Tourist

Do any of you use a DV Deck?

Does anyone here use a DV deck for their NLE? If you do, what type do you use, and why did you choose that one over another?

Thanks
Paul
Paul Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #110

Absolutely. Have a Panasonic AG-DV2000 deck. It works GREAT.
Old February 7th, 2003, 02:44 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Not sure what I am looking for, but please read

I am looking to transfer my DV footage to my computer and back. I don't want to use my Canon XL1 because I don't want to wear out parts on it.

Is there like a Separate unit I can buy to do this? Or do I have to buy another DV camera?

If I have to buy another DV camera, will the quailty of the picture degrade since I am using a lessor DV cam to transfer the footage?

I would do a search on this subject, but not sure what to look for.

Thanks in Adavance!

I think I will make a small donation to this site for all this good info!
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 03:29 PM   #112
Regular Crew

I am not sure about an external device you can use thats not a Mini DV camera, but using a lower quality camera like a 1 chip will not degrade the quality of the image.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #113
Major Player

You can use a DV deck such as the Sony DSR-11 or you could use another camera. There are many different decks out there that would work for this, the DSR-11 because of it's price, seems to be a favorite if you are using DV over firewire.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #114

Sony DSR-20...reliable, smooth transport action, DV or mini-DV
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #115
Major Player

When the data is traveling over firewire it is all ones and zeros so it will not care how many chips the camera has or how good or bad the lens is. It doesn't lose anything in quality.

You other alternative is to buy a DV deck which like cameras can vary wildly in price.

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #116
Major Player

Ed,

Why did you choose the Panasonic? Was the ability to read DVCPRo important to you or was it just the best choice at the time?

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #117
Wrangler

DSR-20.

Absolutely reliable for the past almost 4 years. Does everything I ask.

Because it will run from 12 VDC, it is quite useful in the field.

Now of course the 20 has been replaced by the 25 with its LCD screen which I do covet a bit.
Old February 7th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #118

I bought it 3 years ago. I don't know how many of the other models were available then but there, definitely, were not as many as today. There were not that many MiniDV players listed in the catalogs I acquired at that time and I wanted a good, heavy duty, unit. It has been.

To this point, I have only used it for MiniDV but it can definitely handle full size DV tapes as well. I leave it plugged into the computer all the time and use it for pass-thru for external monitor viewing and VHS taping. I can also use it to pass-thru the other direction as well (i.e. capturing a VHS tape via firewire).

For me, it has just worked. No particular reason for purchase other than it was what I found at the time that met my specifications. I have never regretted having this deck.
Old February 7th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #119
Obstreperous Rex

A very common solution is to buy a cheap 1-CCD consumer DV camcorder like the Canon ZR40, and use it as a playback deck. Should be around $500 or less. This will be less expensive than an actual DV deck, which will cost around $1000 -- although our sponsor Pro-Tape has a JVC dual deck (Mini-DV and S-VHS) for $685 refurb, $885 new. See www.dvinfo.net/sponsors

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #120
Slash Rules!

This may seem stupid, but, when firewiring, does the "don't mix your tape brand" caveat still apply, or is that only when shooting?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line