The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 7th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #121
Major Player

Have a Panasonic AG-DV1000 deck. Works great! Saves wear and tear on the GL2. Works great for capturing, printing to tape and used during the editing process to a television monitor. (I use it with Vegas 4.0 and it's capture software)

Ted
Old February 7th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #122
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

have panasonic ag dv 2000 deck ... handles mini and full size dv tapes.. it can also playback DVCAM tapes.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #123
Major Player

I also have a Panasonic AG-DV1000 deck. I purchased it because it costs less than many of the decks available and I really wanted a deck instead of a second camcorder. This was before the JVC one with dual MiniDV and VHS, otherwise it would have been between those two. The AG-DV1000 works fine so far through Avid Xpress DV 3.5.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 01:12 AM   #124
Regular Crew

Paul,

I;ve got a JVC SR-VS20 mini-dv and SVHS deck...its the best thing i've ever gotten to date, well atleast for my purposes.

only slight problem with it is premiere doesn't like to print to video to the deck sometimes, but once its on DV, copying to VHS for distribution is easy, or capturing from VHS is great, and it's much less expensive then the XL1s (1/4 price) so i don't mind wearing out the heads on it

just my 2 cents
~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 04:43 AM   #125
RED Code Chef

There currently is also another thread on this here!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 06:35 AM   #126
Wrangler

The don't mix brands caution applies to any tape inserted in the camcorder for any reason - whether recording, playing back for viewing, or for firewire capture. It is all the same as far as the mechanical system is concerned.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #127
Regular Crew

So Don,

Are you saying don't mix brands of high quailty tapes in the canon XL-1?
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 09:24 AM   #128

You could also consider just buying a ZR40, since it has real-time analog pass through and it can be had for about $390 off the web,,, that is what I use for a deck in the field - it's a lot easier to pack than a deck. I have yet to experience any problems using a ZR40 in this way.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #129
Regular Crew

I agree with Don. I have an elura 40mc that i use as my deck. Its better than wearing out my xl1s and suits my needs perfectly. Even has a little LCD screen on the side (not that i really need that but its fun to have haha)
Tim Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #130
Wrangler

The issue is that tapes with different characteristics (mechanical and chemical) will leave different deposits in any camcorder. If after a long standing diet of one tape youchange to another with different properties, it may cause deposits to shift, float aroudn, clog heads, etc. Some brands are just remarking of another well known brand, but who knows which is what? (E.g., Canon branded may be Panasonic in side. Panasonic and JVC tape might be from the same factory given that they have the same parent company.) Even within a brand there may be different formulations that could cause a somewhat similar effect. Thus, a generally safe practice is to stick with one brand/type of tape, and to plan on a head cleaning if you have to change brands/types.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #131
Wrangler

You know that with the JVC SR-VS20 deck you can record directly to the S-VHS side from the computer? And capture to the computer via firewire from the S-VHS side too?
Old February 9th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #132
Major Player

"a generally safe practice is to stick with one brand/type of tape, and to plan on a head cleaning if you have to change brands/types."

That mean one or two passes of a head cleaning tape or factory cleaning of the heads???
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #133
New Boot

I use a Panasonic AG-DV1000 Mini DV deck as my source deck. I shoot using a XL-1 and a GL2. I use Panasonic tapes after having a poor experience several times with brand new JVC tapes. Having the source deck definately saves wear 7 tear on my cameras.

As a backup source deck, I recently purchased a Sony TRV 17 Mini Dv camera but the bottom loading feature is a pain in the neck once the camera is connected to my computer (the wires get in the way of loading & ejecting).
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #134
Regular Crew

JVC MiniDV/SVHS Deck and Premiere

I saw that you stated the JVC Combo deck had problems "printing to video in Premiere". Is this when trying to preview with a monitor attached to the deck? I'm buying a deck in the next month and am having a hard time choosing and finding information on these decks. I hear the Panasonic DV1000 is a good deck, but also heard this guys heads ran out after 100hrs. Any info would be appreciated.

Michael
Michael Botkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #135
Wrangler

I also use a ZR40 as a deck. Cheap, small, portable, and hey, it's a video camera too! :)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line