The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 5th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #526
Major Player

Does this mean that you don't use the same camcorder to output to PC? In other words, you use a professional or semipro camera to film and then take the tape out and use a cheap mini-dv camera to output? Is it OK?

Stelios

I use a Canon xl-2 to shoot and I capture from and edit to a cheaper mini dv camera. I never playback anything from my XL-2. I haven't had any issues yet and have done a lot of projects this way. Saved me $$$ on buying a $1000 + deck. I plan on buying one eventually, but I'm a firm believer in if it works then don't fix it.
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #527
Wrangler

I'm getting ready to sell my DSR-30 DV deck--if anyone is interested, please make me a reasonable offer.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #528
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I'm getting ready to sell my DSR-30 DV deck--if anyone is interested, please make me a reasonable offer.
Charles, what condition is your deck and how old is it?

Stelios
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #529
Wrangler

Deck is probably 6-7 years old at this point. It's been used for my projects but not daily. Works flawlessly. No dropouts, no problems. It's a tank. Full rack size, very solid. Has integrated jog/shuttle on the control tray and remote. I also have a DSR-20 deck and I don't need both any more. The 20 is more portable so I'm keeping that one.
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #530
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Does this mean that you don't use the same camcorder to output to PC? In other words, you use a professional or semipro camera to film and then take the tape out and use a cheap mini-dv camera to output? Is it OK?

Stelios

Once the video is recorded on the MiniDV tape, it doesn't make any difference between taking it out using expensive deck and taking out using a cheap MiniDV camcorder. Because it's already digital binary signal on the tape. Just like you have a file on your expensive computer, then you copy this file to a cheap computer, it's still the same file! That is the advantage of the digital nature.....
Juni Zhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #531
Trustee

Juni, that is only true in theory, not practice. A deck will be faster at getting to in and out points (you can save a lot of time if you log extensively), a deck will have less trouble going from brand to brand of tapes, a deck will have less drop outs, etc. There are many advantages to having a deck...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #532
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson View Post
Juni, that is only true in theory, not practice. A deck will be faster at getting to in and out points (you can save a lot of time if you log extensively), a deck will have less trouble going from brand to brand of tapes, a deck will have less drop outs, etc. There are many advantages to having a deck...

ash =o)
Ash, you are right in this sense..... But I only edit once the video is dumped on hard drive. I never found any problem, not even dropouts.....
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #533
Major Player

Look around for a used Panasonic AG-DV1000. They're great units, built like a tank, have timecode display up front, and lots of input/output options. Mine was $800 new, but I bet you can find one in good shape for half that.

Only downside is that they are mini-DV only, not the full-size cassettes.
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #534
Major Player

Quote:
once the video is recorded on the MiniDV tape, it doesn't make any difference between taking it out using expensive deck and taking out using a cheap MiniDV camcorder. Because it's already digital binary signal on the tape. Just like you have a file on your expensive computer, then you copy this file to a cheap computer, it's still the same file! That is the advantage of the digital nature.....
Well, it's not exactly the same because a cheap MiniDV camcorder is not as precise in writing the information on tape as is a professional DVCAM deck. There is something called error correction and concealment that allows for a certain percentage of errors to be written on and read from DV tape before you can actually see an error (like one block when it can't be read is substituted with the copy of a nearby block).

With a cheap drive you get more errors in the first place and, when the tape degrades, you will more quickly experience visible errors because when too much errors are adding up then the correction and concealment mechanisms won't work anymore.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #535
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni Zhao View Post
Ash, you are right in this sense..... But I only edit once the video is dumped on hard drive. I never found any problem, not even dropouts.....
Correct, if you get it problem free to the computer, it is all the same... 1's and 0's... It may take longer and you will run a greater risk of dropouts. A small cheap camera can certainly work but it is not optimum.

ash =o)
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #536
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson View Post
Correct, if you get it problem free to the computer, it is all the same... 1's and 0's... It may take longer and you will run a greater risk of dropouts. A small cheap camera can certainly work but it is not optimum.

ash =o)
I once talked to an electrical engineer who happens to be in this field. He says that DV read and write mechanism is so mature that modern DV cameras hardly make any errors. Even a low end camera can handle data read/write (on digital tape) transfer very well. That was like 2 years ago, I have never confirmed from an official source what he said however. Thru my own testing, i just believe that coz I have never had any visible errors using cheap camcorder to upload or even download, although I do have a deck.....
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #537
Trustee

Juni, some tapes can be problematic and decks are more forgiving, i bet everyone on the forum has a story that could back that up. It is rare to have tape issues in general but a deck just is more robust and reduces problems even more.

ash =o)
Old June 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #538
Regular Crew

Guys, this thread was exactly what I needed to hear. I am going to have to get a cheap miniDV camera to deck for me. When I get a promotion or win the lottery I would love to get the dedicated deck.

Is switching from one brand of camera to another an issue. I shoot on a Sony VX2000 but I am going to deck with a Canon ZR600 (gotta good deal <$100)?
Joe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #539
Inner Circle

JOE
Switching brands of playback machines is not a problem, it's switching tape formulations that can cause gunk-up. I shoot with an XL2 and use a Sony DSR 11 for playback/capture. No probs.

Having said that - further down the road, there are SOME formats of HDV that are brand specific. For instance Canon's 24f. No deck will play it back. You need a Canon Camera to do this.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #540
Regular Crew

More info here as well

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=log+capture
Tobin Strickland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line