DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Digital-8 to Mini-DV via Firewire....Possible? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/39452-digital-8-mini-dv-via-firewire-possible.html)

Alessandro Machi February 14th, 2005 12:31 PM

Digital-8 to Mini-DV via Firewire....Possible?

I need to copy Digital-8 to mini-dv, can I do it via the camcorders and a firewire cable? I'm not sure my firewire cable is working properly so I don't know if my tests are valid, so far it doesn't work.

Chris Hurd February 14th, 2005 01:16 PM

Alessandro, I can't think of any reason why it would not work... you might try a different FW cable... what are the exact camcorder models you're using? You've got a Sony D8, the particular model probably doesn't matter, but what is the make and model of your DV camcorder?

Alessandro Machi February 14th, 2005 01:25 PM

I have a Canon-ZR 65.

It has a firewire in. The digital-8 camcorder is the TRV-350.

I heard several years ago that the two formats were incompatible when it came to making firewire dubs. It could be the cable, although the cable "looks" fine.

I've gone into the menu and tried the analog to DV output setting on both cameras. Might that be confusing the DV record camcorder into thinking it should be outputting a digital signal instead of receiving one?

Darko Flajpan February 14th, 2005 01:49 PM

I've done lots of DV<-> D8 dubs via Firewire. It works like a charm in both ways. All you need is 4-4 FW cable. Since my D8 camera is not brilliant as a camera i use it as deck for archiving. I've found D8 tapes very reliable and never experienced dropout. Just go and do it!

Ron Evans February 14th, 2005 01:52 PM

This works with Sony so should also work with the ZR Canon. Put both camcorders in VCR mode with iLINK cable connected. Press record ( record may only be on the remote like the Sony's) on the ZR and play on the D8. YOu should see the incoming video on the ZR LCD. IF you are in Europe your ZR may not be setup to record from the 1394 connector just output.

Ron Evans

Alessandro Machi February 14th, 2005 03:19 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Darko Flajpan : I've done lots of DV<-> D8 dubs via Firewire. It works like a charm in both ways. All you need is 4-4 FW cable. -->>>

I tried that and all I get is a blue screen. Maybe the cable is bad.

Alessandro Machi February 14th, 2005 03:31 PM

Maybe I'm using the wrong connector?

I'm using the DV connection but there is another connection I haven't used before, it's a bigger connection than the DV and both cameras have it. I thought that was a computer interface connection.

Alessandro Machi February 14th, 2005 10:39 PM

Bad firewire cable...grrrrrrrrrr.

I HATE THAT! I hate even more the fact that I don't remember where the darn cable came from. I think someone gave it to me! Or did I pay for it???

How annoying, I don't remember how or where I got this cable!

Ok, be happy, I now have a firewire cable that actually works and I can dub Sony Digital-8 to Canon mini-dv via firewire, yippeeee!