Matching timecode on a dubed tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 21st, 2005, 10:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Matching timecode on a dubed tape?

Not sure if this would be the forum or not, but here goes.

I've got a couple miniDV tapes I need to duplicate and I'd like to make sure the timecode on the dubs is the same as the originals since I'll be keeping the dubs and sending the original back to the client.

Is there a way to do this? I'll be doing the transfer over FW.

Thanks!
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Bryan, that all depends on what you are using to make the dubs. Some decks will allow you to use the 'external' timecode instead of having the deck lay down it's own timecode.

So, it is possible, just depends on your tools.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Luis Caffesse : Bryan, that all depends on what you are using to make the dubs. Some decks will allow you to use the 'external' timecode instead of having the deck lay down it's own timecode.

So, it is possible, just depends on your tools. -->>>

Well I'm still in the 'using a cheap camera as a deck' camp.

But, I could get access to a DSR-11 if that would do it.
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Bryan,

I'm afraid I may have spoken too soon.
I got confused because I knew I had done this before with my DSR-11, but I generally record in DVCAM format.

I just checked my DSR-11, and found that in DV mode you cannot take in 'external' timecode. But, if DVCAM is an option for you, if you set the deck to record in DVCAM you can go into the "TimeCode" menu and set it to "External."

This is one of the differences between DV and DVCam it seems. Hopefully if someone knows something else, they'll pipe up here.

Sorry about the mixup.
I hope this helps.
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:54 AM   #5
Major Player

DVCAM would work, I guess.

All I'm doing is trying to have the backup so if I have to repoen the project I can recapture the footage. I don't see why it would be a problem to recapture using the DVCAM tape even if it was originally captured from miniDV.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM   #6
Major Player

By the way, why not dub the tapes and send the dubs to the client? That way you keep the originals and you can sidestep this whole issue.

Just a suggestion.
Either way, looks like you can do what you want if you dub them over to DVCam.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Luis Caffesse : By the way, why not dub the tapes and send the dubs to the client? That way you keep the originals and you can sidestep this whole issue.

Just a suggestion.
Either way, looks like you can do what you want if you dub them over to DVCam. -->>>
Which would be the easiest thing to do, but the originals are makred as 'official' and they've got to have them back just as a policy thing.
Old March 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM   #8
Major Player

If it is a 'just in case' sort of thing you could make a dub with new timecode & spend a minute to identify the differential between the new dub and original. The differential will hold through the entire tape, and if you ever had to recapture from the dubs using an EDL or batch list you would 'simply' have to apply the differential appropriate for each tape.

Not a process I'd choose, but not a bad one to resort to if you are unlikely to ever have to pursue it ...

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:49 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Time consuming process, but if you have Final Cut or a similar program you can:

Capture the tape.
Print to tape using an assemble edit.

It's been some time since I did that. I think the process is:
Capture the original tape, making sure you pick up the original timecode. Capture now may not pick up original timecode depending on your version of FCP and how it's setup.

Get a BLANK mini-DV tape.
Rewind and cue it a few seconds forward. You need blank tape before the timecode starts, so Final Cut can get pre-roll with deck control.
Put some timecode on the tape by recording black.
Put the captured footage onto the tape via assemble edit.

I don't know if you have to go through the extra step of putting some timecode on your tape first.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #10
Major Player

sigh, old school versus new school.

Way back in the nineties, this wouldn't even be a discussable issue.
The professional "analog" decks all had external time-code and could exactly reproduce what you want to do.

What you want to do is be an intelligent, responsible editor/post production resource to your client, but mini-dv won't let you do it unless you spend as much money as I spent in the 90's buying the high end analog video machines.

Some things never change, the price has come way down to do excellent video, but to do excellent video where you are part of a collaborative team the price HAS NOT come down.

Mini-dv is like making a deal with the devil. You get to look, act and be the part without the details.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line