DVCAM. DV, miniDV tape formulation differences? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #1
Inner Circle

DVCAM. DV, miniDV tape formulation differences?

Was looking at the Sony site after seeing a post here discussing Sony's Digital Master tapes and I'm confused about DVCAM, DV, and miniDV tape differences (not so much the recording formats/hardware per se but the tape itself.) The Digital Master offers packaging both in a "standard DVCAM" cartridge and a "mini" cartridge. Is this "mini" packaging the same thing as a "miniDV" cartridge? If so, is this tape in the mini cartridge interchangeable with or usable in cameras like the Canon XL2 that specify "use tapes bearing the 'miniDV' logo" (and careful perusal of the Sony package photo does not reveal any such logo) or is it a situation where although the tapes might fit physically, the media's recording characteristics don't match the recording hardware's optimal tape requirements?
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

One of my friends gave me lots of once used 40 min. MASTER DVCAM mini DV tapes. I used them with my XM2 without any problems. Since I was using Fuji tapes before I cleaned video heads with tape. No dropouts, "clean heads" warnings or other nasty stuff. BTW, this 40 min. tape will give you 60 min. since XL2 records (like my XM2) only in DV, not DVCAM.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line