Missing Time Code: not so excellent at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Missing Time Code: not so excellent

I am currently working on two short films; I'm editing one and DPing another. Both are using a DVX 100A. I have no problem capturing the footage onto my G5 with my Panni GS-200 from the one; but for the one I'm actually editing, the tapes don't register Time Code on my camera. The hardcore decks at the lab I work at registers the TC fine.

The only difference I know of is that the tapes I can't read timecode on are Sony Excellence instead of Sony Premiums. Is that a potential cause or is it likely some camera setting? I'm betting this is the best thread, if not please chastise me.
Old April 9th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Were the tapes recorded LP mode by any chance?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Major Player

The grade of tape is almost surely not a factor, though when things go wrong, who knows ...

The best solution is likely a Firewire dub of the problematic tapes -- the new tapes will have exactly the same video/audio data, but with a new timecode track laid down by the recording device. Make the dubs now, before you are deep in the edit process, and treat the dubs as if they are the camera originals ...

The joys of lossless dubbing!

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Lossless dubs - astounding! That should do it for sure. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

On the note of the actual problem - the production shot this weekend on standard sony premium - so i will soon know whether that had any bearing on the recognition of TimeCode. Stay tuned - same bat thread, same bat forum.
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #5
Major Player

I vote for the LP possibility also.
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The LP was a juicy possibility - but alas it was not to be. That isn't the issue. The plot thickens, however; as I noticed that my camera registers the minutes left on the tape - but not the time code.

We are getting some regular sony premiums they will be shooting on soon - so I will be able to let you all know if tape quality could conceivably affect time code availability.
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #7
Major Player

What do you mean by 'registers the minutes left on the tape'?

The camcorder's convenience display of 'minutes left on tape' isn't a timecode function -- it works with blank tape that has nothing recorded on it, as well as used tape.

Recorded to tape is the timecode track, which counts up from 00;00;00;00 unless forced to do otherwise, the date/time track which records the date and time of day to the second but not frame _if_ the date/time clock was set on the camcorder before shooting (set once, lasts until the button battery runs out), and the data track which records details like shutter speed, iris, gain & white balance details if your camcorder supports this ...

On some devices you can set the start timecode to other than 00;00;00;00 or you can choose 'Free run' instead of 'Rec run' (which leaves the timecode clock running between shots, so any camcorder pause creates a 'jump' in the timecode track.

But the 'minutes left on cassette' feature is not part of any of those, and was available even on VHS and Hi8 devices that didn't offer timecode.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line