Time Code Window Burns... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 13th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Time Code Window Capability, NEED INFO...

My glee at finding a really cheap Canon mini-dv camcorder so I can dub from BetaCam Sp to mini-dv (and vice-versa) has turned to angst.

I'll now have to buy a second camcorder so that I can do actual time-code window burns. The Canon ZR series does not offer me the option to output time-code.

So, how much more money is this going to cost, I hate to sound like a tightwad, but what is the cheapest camcorder I can get that will both play DV-CAM off of mini-dv tapes AND allow me to make time-code window burns?

Are there "tweener" mini-dv camcorders in which no DV-CAM capabilities are possible but I will be able to do window burns?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If your betaSP deck has an option to display timecode in the picture (analog output), then any mini-DV camera (with analog in) can be used to create a time-code window burn. You can then "offline" edit from the mini-DV tapes, although conforming will require manual inputting of a timecode offset or something like that. And you would need an online system that actually handles betaSP.

My working definitions are:
Offline = a cheap edit system.
Online = an expensive edit system. Full/higher quality, more storage, more real-time, more features, or handles higher formats.
Time-code window burn: The actual timecode appears in the video picture as a bunch of numbers, instead of being stored in the normal timecode track of the video format.

2- Perhaps you should focus your question a little more?

Window burns are usually for offline / online editing (edit on a cheap system, online on an expensive system). Your offline system may be something as simple as a VCR, TV, and pen and paper (to write down timecodes).

What formats are going in and what formats do you want to go to?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

I probably wasn't clear enough in my previous post.

I assumed all camcorders that read time-code would also output the time-code window. I was wrong.

The BetaCam SP comment is a separate issue. I was just pointing out that I'm happy with the ZR for dubbing back and forth between mini-dv and Betacam SP, but for making either DVD or VHS window burns from mini-dv tapes, I presently have no options and was wondering what mini-dc camcorder should I buy to fill in the void.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line