Confused about which tape to use for Sony HD. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 27th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Confused about which tape to use for Sony HD.

The production company I work for bought a new Sony HVR-Z1U to begin building an HD library for future broadcast. We were told at the place of purchase to use DVCam tapes for HD, so we ordered 50 of them yesterday. Today while going through the manual we read in two places that if we shot in HD format we should use standard miniDV tapes, if in DVCam format to use DVCam tapes. We're confused!!! We have no plans to utilize the DVCam format, only HD and MAYBE some down converted SD.

To shoot, edit and broadcast in HD (which is the purpose of this camera), which tape format should we use?

Though most of the footage shot with the camera this year will be for HD broadcast, some of it may make it into standard definition broadcast or onto DVDs for commercial sales.
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I am using cheap Sony Premium because I couldn't find the HDV Masters and I had a couple of boxes in stock. If anything happens to my Z1, you can bet Sony are going to hear about it!
For the most important work I will probably try the DVCAM tapes. I have heard that the BBC recommends them.
I don't think I will be using the HDV Masters now because the price difference goes a long way to getting a FX1 as a back-up.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line