Problems with my player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 20th, 2002, 10:13 PM   #1
okiecajun

Problems with my player

Has anyone found a solution to this... I am shooting mini-dv with the xl1s and trying to playback on a sony dsr40.... the pitch or something is not right for I can not seem to make it work... HELP!!!!
Old October 20th, 2002, 10:27 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The tape from the XL1 is in DV format and the DSR-40 is DVCAM format... sounds like the deck is trying to read the tape as a DVCAM format tape. I thought the DSR-40 would play back a DV cassette. Maybe it's a menu setting? There's a DV / DVCAM indicator on the deck's front panel.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 12:16 PM   #3
okiecajun

I have looked but am not finding anything in the menu that will do this,... if anyone is familiar with this menu setting,please tell me.
Old November 18th, 2002, 05:45 PM   #4
okiecajun

Yet another twist to "as the video head world turns"... Canon tells me that the sony deck "will" play the mini-dv if it is shot in SP mode ( I did this and it still does not work)... Sony says I must realign the pitch on the machine, thus running the risk of previous recorded dvcam tapes not playing properly.... looks like I may be buying a new dvcam back for my studio camera unless someone has a better remedy to my dilemma.
Old November 18th, 2002, 06:19 PM   #5
Warden

Can you copy the original XL1 tape to DVCam via fireWire (iLink)? Then playback from the DSR-40. It will take longer but it is a work around if you don't want to use the XL1 for playback. As to a solution, it sounds as if the DSR-40 has a tape path alignment problem (could be the XL1, or both). The unit can be sent in for alignment (kind of like a front end alignment on a car). However, once aligned, it will not be able to playback tapes previously record on it. The solution is to copy all the old tapes to a machine that is known to have good alignment. After they are all copied, have the machine aligned.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 11:20 AM   #6
okiecajun

Thanks for the suggestion,... this is exactly what I am doing, my desire is to limit head use on the XL1...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line