DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   HELP! Tape audio/video playback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/44941-help-tape-audio-video-playback.html)

Michael Padilla May 20th, 2005 11:10 AM

HELP! Tape audio/video playback!

I recorded some footage of an engagement video at a local park, when I got home the footage played back audio sounded choppy, and non existent most of the time; what the heck is going on? Actually two tapes are doing this.

Here's the thing; it was shot using Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ tape, Recorded in 24p on an XL2...but not my XL2. I just recieved my XL2 from B&H in the mail Yesterday and when I played back the tape, weither it be on camera to TV or to Computer it the audio just craps out. This is serious crap!

Andzei Matsukevits May 20th, 2005 02:01 PM

i had same problem with sony premium tapes, two of them...choppy and dropped sound...really bad...

i would like to recommend to not to drop tapes anywhere before or after recording, just in case

Michael Padilla May 20th, 2005 03:03 PM

was there nothing you could do about it?

Andzei Matsukevits May 20th, 2005 08:15 PM

no, not really...now i'm useing higher grade tapes and works pretty well...

next time if You film something and sound is important, i would use headphones, atleast to just check if audio sounds good enaugh...

Michael Padilla May 20th, 2005 10:07 PM

Well here's the strangest part; When I use any tape deck OTHER than that one XL2 that I recorded off of, the sound is crappy; When I replay it off that perticular XL2, I have clean sound...???

Jack Smith May 20th, 2005 10:31 PM

Run and copy the tape by playing it back in the camera it was recorded in to a deck/camera and get a backup.Likely the head alignment of the recording camera is off slightly.Once you have your dupe check it in the deck and/or other camera.If it's ok then any other tapes you have recorded with the offending camera should be tested and the same applied to any with the same problem.Once all tapes are backed up send the camera in for service.

Michael Padilla May 20th, 2005 11:28 PM

Oh...Thank you very much for the solution!
I think that will do the job! And I will send in the Offending XL2 in just afterwards;

You know I was having major problems editing with the footage from this camera even though it seemed ok; there must be something wrong with it like you said.

I'll let you know how it went; thanks!

J. Stephen McDonald May 21st, 2005 08:34 PM

Remember the good times of analog formats, like S-VHS and ED-Beta, when you had that extra linear soundtrack to bail you out of such glitches? And when you could audio dub right in the camcorder or an ordinary VCR?

Michael Padilla May 21st, 2005 11:24 PM

:)

UH...NO...

:)

(L.O.L)HeHe...

Anthony Marotti May 22nd, 2005 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Padilla
Well here's the strangest part; When I use any tape deck OTHER than that one XL2 that I recorded off of, the sound is crappy; When I replay it off that perticular XL2, I have clean sound...???

I fear (because I have an XL1 and an XL2) that this is the old "tapes don't play well on other than the camera" scenario :-(

I have experienced this, even with my brand new XL2.

There is a lot of talk about this, but it usually ends up with: Its the tape!

I don't think it's the tape at all... I think that Canons don't play well with others, and I wish I knew this way back when.

I'm shooting a big job soon and I am using those 2 cameras. I am going to bring along a DSR-11 and run the main camera to it for a second recording just in case!!

I may have to sell these cameras and by a DVCAM unit (going to buy one anyway) if the results of this shoot proves that the recording mechanisms are sub-standard.

I hope I am wrong !!

Jack Smith May 22nd, 2005 10:48 PM

Odd because so far (2 years) I havent had any trouble with my XL1s .Tapes play back fine in a variety of other decks and cams(Canon,Sony,Panasonic,JVC)so long as I don't mix tapes.Use panny MQ exclusively now.and I never shoot LP.Canon does warn that LP may result in playback problems in any other machine Canon included.

Anthony Marotti May 22nd, 2005 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Smith
Odd because so far (2 years) I havent had any trouble with my XL1s .Tapes play back fine in a variety of other decks and cams(Canon,Sony,Panasonic,JVC)so long as I don't mix tapes.Use panny MQ exclusively now.and I never shoot LP.Canon does warn that LP may result in playback problems in any other machine Canon included.

Hello,

Yeah, I know, I use to think that I just had bad luck until I read of many others experiencing the same thing. It might be ht-or-miss, but very coincidental that I get two in a row ??