DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   HDCAM Dub (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/450917-hdcam-dub.html)

James J. Lee September 28th, 2009 06:56 PM

HDCAM Dub

Hey guys, I'm trying to send a 30 sec. commercial to broadcast that have requested an HDCAM tape. I shot the footage in HDV and have edited with Final Cut in Native/Prores 422. I have compressor so could output most formats/codecs. I'm looking for a post house where I could (ideally) FTP a file and have them print to HDCAM tape. No one locally (Marietta, OH) has this capability. I need a fairly quick turn around. Anyone want to do this quick job for me or have recommendations? Thanks, J.Lee

James Brill September 28th, 2009 11:10 PM

The file should be around 800MBs which isn't small but falls under the limit for most FTP sites. I would provide the post house with a link to your FTP site, obviously, as well as a fed ex account number to ship the tape with or a pre paid fed ex sheet so they can ship the tape for you as soon as it's done.

I would just create a self contained quicktime movie of your sequence and let the post house which should have Final Cut and some form of a hardware SDI card to play it out to tape with deal with it.

Also don't put bars or a countdown on your quicktime just the start of the show. All of this gets added when laying back to tape in real time by Final Cut. If you need to have a specific title in the front provide a .psd or a type of word document for them to load in the front of the show themselves. I lay back a lot for Final Cut users at the facility I work at and whenever they give me anything before their show it usually gets cut off since it isn't up to spec.

James J. Lee September 29th, 2009 08:46 AM

Price Reference

Thanks James. That's good info. I just contacted the closest post house and asked them for a quote. They said that I would save $ putting the slate, bars, & countdown on myself. They will get back to me with a quote. I will be sending a prepayed fedex label. For reference, can you tell me what I should expect to pay for the service?

Shaun Roemich September 29th, 2009 09:05 AM

I'd expect to pay for 1 hour of edit suite time plus the tape.

James Brill October 5th, 2009 10:25 PM

Yeah expect to spend between 150 to 300 for the dub. I think it's crazy if you get charged for adding bars and tone but whatever. To me that little bit of help with a dub is like coffee or snacks in the waiting room.

Personally I'd rather add it myself and make sure it's to spec than getting a call in the middle of the night frantically asking for me to re dub it. Although I work at a post house not a dub house so that could be why I think that way.

James J. Lee October 6th, 2009 08:32 AM

Thanks - Got it

Thanks guys. I had it done semi-locally by delivering the ProRes files to another FCP editor that had an HDCAM deck. He said it would be cheaper if I delivered complete with bars/tone/slate, and I paid $175. I wonder, is there a database out there somewhere of Post & Dubbing shops, their location & capabilities? I used ProductionHUB, but had to make about 10 calls before I found someone that would work.
It's clear that since my investment is currently in HDV shooting & editing, I will be regularly looking for sources of transcoding and dubbing.

David W. Jones October 9th, 2009 06:57 AM

You might contact the broadcast outlets you are sending dubs to, and see if they accept data files or ftp transfers. Almost all of the TV stations I have a relationship with prefer that method to tape.