Do I need to capture using same camera that shot the video? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 5th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Tourist

Do I need to capture using same camera that shot the video?

Will there be a quality hit if I use a VTR or even a consumer MiniDV camera to capture footage into FCP?
The original footage was shot on a Panasonic DVX100
I also saw some threads on tape brands being an issue. If different tape brands were used on the capture device will this damage the master tapes? Or can a head cleaner clean this effectively?
Thanks
Michael Mellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #2
Major Player

It's all digital Michael. If you shot in miniDV it doesn't really matter what miniDV deck/camera you use to transfer it to the computer as long as it doesn't introduce dropouts from dirty heads or anything.

As far as the brand-of-tape thing goes, I think the problems are usually to do with gunging up the deck, not actually damaging the tapes. I s'pose it's possible though. Has it happened to anyone?
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Sometimes tapes shot on LP mode will play back best on the camera that shot it because of differences in head alignment. Otherwise it's fine to capture with another camera.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Glenn makes a good point. I didn't even think of LP because I never use it...
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I agree completely, never use LP mode for important work!

This past weekend I experienced problems with the audio from a tape recorded in LP mode.

Background:

One of our cameramen accidently recorded in LP.

Using our normal procedures, I made a copy of the original tape, before I captured the copy into Vegas.

I was able to copy the tape to SP mode. This was done using the original camera that recorded the tape as the source and using another XL1s as the target (using Firewire, of course) with the target camera set to normal SP mode.

This past weekend, I attempted to recapture scenes from the original tape (which was recored in LP mode) using a different XL1s as the source. The video was mostly ok, but the audio was useless.

Today, I am going to attempt to capture the LP tape, but I will be using the original XL1s.

I attribute the problem to a very minor misalignment of the two XL1s. I have not experienced any problems with the same cameras when the tapes are recorded in SP mode.
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Major Player

I haven't ever tried to transfer tape with a different cam than the one that recorded it myself but I have read of people who have even when SP mode was used. I suppose a small misalignment between two cams could cause this. As always, YMMV.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I always use a cheaper mini dv camera to act as a deck for footage shot on my vx 1000.

Consequently I have significantly less head time on the VX 1000 and a very inexpensive mini dv vtr.

1's and 0's don't change from cam to cam. I never shoot in LP.

Now if someone would come up with that solution for my FX1....

Jay
Jay Handleson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line