DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Going From Computer To Videotape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/46442-going-computer-videotape.html)

Robert Chandler June 18th, 2005 03:09 PM

Going From Computer To Videotape

I need to go backwards...

I know the Holy Grail is to to go from tape deck to computer, but I need the highest quality method to go from mpeg2 back to video tape (DVC Pro)

If I can output as component video, that would be even better.

I am rigging a method to send high-quality broadcast video via internet rather than satellite, and I'm trying to find a high quality path to get them from mpeg2 onto tape for air..

Anybody been down this road?

Robert Chandler
WAFB-TV News Operations
rchandler@wafb.com

Boyd Ostroff June 18th, 2005 04:10 PM

I'm sure there are cards that will do this, but you could also just burn to DVD, then use the component output of a good DVD player if it's MPEG-2, right?

Peter Ferling June 18th, 2005 10:16 PM

What format are you sending out on the internet, windows media? The encoder/broadcast tool that will do this is free. I use it with my video toaster. I can send a live feed via the windows media encoder. The real trick is how fast your net is, and how many bottle-necks there are (i.e. hubs, traffic, etc.)

With the toaster and its switcher, I can play a DVD in as a source, and then broadcast the feed to a webcast.

Robert Chandler June 20th, 2005 03:27 PM

Clarifications

I'm essentially trying to duplicate the function of a $16,000 box with off the shelf stuff..

The goal is to send and receive broadcast-quality, non-urgent video via internet.

At present, the path is as follows. Will playback edited tape (DVC-Pro) into Movie Maker (via ______ hardware) for an AVI file. Will use a Tsunami software converter to convert AVI to MPEG 2. Then will upload MPEG 2 file to the requesting station's server.

Working out the receiving path now. Essentially, will download MPEG 2 into the computer, play out via ______________ player onto DVC Pro tape) via _____________ interface.

There are cheaper ways to do it. Could use Pinnacle Studio 9 to capture and make into MPEG 2. Could use Pinnacle's composite breakout box for capture and playing back to tape..

I hear of a datavideo DAC-10 that will take my component video from the DVC Pro, convert to firewire, then reverse that path for the playback to tape.

But I wanted to see what you guys are doing..

Glenn Chan June 23rd, 2005 12:37 PM

Robert, you can try WIndows media Encoder (free).

It can capture from firewire/IEEE and convert in real-time. It should give better compression than MPEG2.

DVCPRO decks (some of them) have an option to addin a 1394 connection, or it already has it. That will give you slightly better quality because you avoid a digital --> analog --> digital generation.

To go the other way, probably just put the Windows Media video into an editing program and hit it back off to tape from there. The program will probably have to convert the video so there might be a slight render time. I think Vegas can play it back real-time and you can just hit record on your DVCPRO deck.