re-using tapes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 27th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #16
Inner Circle

"I heard of someone who reused a tape at an event then went home and found his wife in bed with another man."

ROFLMAO

with regard to tapes, its an iffy issue and it really depends on your equipment.
I rarely reuse tapes.. however recently my supplier had run out and i had no choice BUT to reuse tapes...

I spoke with panasonic about this and they stated that 3 runs on the MQ series would be ok, but any more and youre prone to drop out.
Now since reusing tapes, i havnt noticed any difference or any dropouts... then again i was playing it safe and using the reused tapes for material such as bride and groom preps and reception table shots.. so it if i did lose somehting, it wasnt detrimental to the whole piece
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Jimmy, that is quite a big blanket statement you made- many could take offense to it as well. I know SEVERAL professional event videographers for whom re-using tapes is a normal practice. These aren't part-timers or hobbiest. They are some of the countries most elite wedding/event videographers.

Do what you see fit in regards to tape usage but there's no reason to insinuate that those who disagree with you are wrong...or as you say .... "micro-managing a low paying hobby". It's actually quite the opposite.
Glen, no insinuation of one's personal practices or specific personalities were singled out by the words I chose. My position is based upon years of field work with miniDV equipment which is fragile at the best of times such that where the odds can be reduced, I have learned to employ the best techniques and best practices to avoid any malaise that can affect my work.

Always defend your position here as always will I.

Perhaps it might be best phrased that where one can eliminate the risk, then the investment in such practices will always benefit the client and protect you as a business person. If the audit group were handing out ISO certification I would venture a guess that upon further review, they would recommend virgin stock every time.

There. Now you have the P.C. cleansed response. I would never want to offend the insightful members of this incredible community.

Always respectful,

Jimmy.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I considered the $65 I spend on batteries, tapes and MiniDisc's in the price I charge for each event. I keep all the originals, even archive the final cut on fresh tape. I have heard the rumor of running a tape multiple times can lead to deterioration and ultimately leave particles on the head causing more dropouts or more frequent cleaning, but don't know what truth it holds. I do knot that I have never had to run a head cleaner through my VX2100, and have only seen 1 dropout. All I use are Fuji's, and I get them for $5 CAD.
Chris Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Retread
I heard of someone who reused a tape at an event then went home and found his wife in bed with another man.

[Edit:] ;>)
sounds like the family guy quote from peter griffin: "there was a guy who bought a used car, then ten years later....he got herpes"
Stefan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:45 PM   #20
Fred Retread

What??? They're stealing my stuff again?
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM   #21
Trustee

On the subject of striping tapes... to me, that is overkill. I did it in 96-97 back when the tech was new and the tapes were less reliable, even then, I found maybe 1 tape out of 50 with an issue. Looking under my desk right now I see the tapes I have shot this year, probably 500+ and have had no major problems other than a couple dropouts that were most likely caused by conditions other than the tape...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line