Videotape to DVD Transfer services at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Videotape to DVD Transfer services

I just found out that Costco offers this service:

Costco - Home Movies to DVD Transfer Service DVDs From Videotapes, Movie Film and Slides

They say however that the footage is only stored for playing on a DVD and cannot be edited using editing software:

"Raw Video Footage on DVD - We cannot deliver just the raw footage on DVD for you to edit using video software. Our DVDs are authored to play on a DVD player and to be enjoyed like a Hollywood movie. "

I'm going to give it a try for a couple of tapes and see if I can drag the footage into a Vegas Pro timeline.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Bill

Over here the transfer guys simply use DVD recorders and then a source tape drive to feed it. The end result is a watchable DVD BUT remember it's now already just a bunch of VOB files that are highly compressed. I think you will be disappointed with bring VOB's back into your NLE as the already poor quality VHS is going to give you an MPEG2 file once the NLE converts it so a re-render will end up with even poorer results due to the format's GOP settings!!

If you have special material that needs editing rather find someone who will capture the tape to DV-AVI raw files so at least you can edit them!! or capture yourself on your 'puter. There are some very good hardware converters on the market that will allow analogue in and DV out via firewire.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

From vague swirly-eddy memory, DV is compressed at a 1:5 ratio whereas DVD content is more in the vicinity of a 1:20 compression.

DVD is best used as a final end-product.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line