Cleaning VCR heads vs MiniDV camcorder heads... same? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 30th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cleaning VCR heads vs MiniDV camcorder heads... same?

Im just wondering if the same process is used to clean the heads on a minidv camcorder as for a VCR. One of my camcorders(old cheap one) needs a head cleaning, and Im hoping to do it myself. I have cleaned the heads on a vcr and was just wondering if the same process is used, or is this a bad idea?

thanks
Dylan Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

Look in your owners manual. I think you'll find that the only process recommended is to run a cleaning tape, carefully following the instructions. It makes sense to use a cleaning tape of the same brand as the DV tapes you've been using.

Basically it's a no-brainer. Insert cleaning tape. Press play. Wait 10 seconds. Press stop. Done.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ive already ran a head cleaner 4 times(that was the max it said to run it at one time) and it still gets the dirty head error. Im positive it needs the heads to be manually cleaned, thats what Im talking about, not the head cleaning tape.
Dylan Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dylan,
The heads and pitch of a MiniDV drum are MICROSCOPIC compared to a VHS or Beta head. The tiniest snag with a cleaning wand will toss the pitch. If you are desperate to try it, and don't mind trashing the camera, give it a go. Otherwise, run the head cleaner tape, or take it in.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:02 AM   #5
Wrangler

It's also possible that your problem is mis-aligned heads instead of dirty ones...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 10:18 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Dylan, if you really want to save it, you should send it in to factory service for a professional cleaning. Otherwise why not replace the older cheap camcorder with a newer cheap camcorder. If you try to "clean it yourself," you might wind up having to buy a new one anyway.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

well i say old... but its only like 2 years old, so I would rather just get it fixed, Ill probly end up sending it to JVC, depending on the cost
Dylan Tucker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line