DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Switching tape brands? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/486401-switching-tape-brands.html)

Donald Flint October 20th, 2010 08:43 PM

Switching tape brands?

So Sam's Club has apparently stopped carrying my 8 packs of Maxell MiniDV tapes. After reading that here, I was able to find smaller packs at Meijer here locally to last me for the time being.

They cost more, but about the same as the 4 or 6 packs of the blue Sony tapes at Target, Walmart etc. So my question is, is there any reason I should switch? Are these Maxell tapes good? I've been using them since not long after I got my camera at the end of 2004. But if I can do better, I'll switch to the Sonys.

If I do, do I need to worry about this lubricant stuff I've read about? I currently use a JVC cleaning cassette that I've been using since 2005. If I switch to the Sonys, do I need a Sony cleaning cassette as well? Will I have problems when I'm going back and forth between Maxell tapes and Sony tapes when importing stuff from my archives?

Matt McMeans October 20th, 2010 10:48 PM

Dude first off hello from your neighbor in Jamestown. And second sony has an article about how the lube doesn't clog http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...dvtapelube.pdf , but everyone on here is going to disagree. I personally have been scared into not mixing tapes just to be on th safe side.

Also I'm curious as to how much you have been paying for tapes, I just paid 20 bucks for a pack of 6 sony premiums and thought it was pricey.

Tom Hardwick October 21st, 2010 02:30 AM

In the old days it made good sense not to switch brands, but that was 10 years ago. Nowadays all is well, and I switch between all sorts of tapes in my DSR11 and FX1 with no worries at all. Of course you could run the tape head cleaner between brands but quite honestly I don't even bother doing that these days.

Donald Flint October 21st, 2010 11:31 PM

Whoa small world lol. It was about 21-22 bucks at Sams Club in Beavercreek for an 8-pack of the Maxells. Meijer has the same tapes for $20 for a 4-pack, so it's about double the cost.

Can get a 6 pack of the Sonys at Target for about 20 bucks. So ultimately the question is...

Is there anything wrong, aside from the cost, with continuing to use Maxell tapes? I have two left to use up before I do anything. I've never really had a problem with them, but I want the best tapes I can get. If I do switch, am I for sure safe in doing so, and will my JVC cleaning tape still be fine?

Sorry if I'm a little paranoid lol. Had this camera a long time and have a lot of tapes for it, and this camera is my only way to access them. Sony DCR-HC30 if it makes a difference. The reason I bought my cleaning tape back in 2005 was because I had my camera lock up with a dirty recording heads error, which happened to be shortly after I used up the Fuji tapes that came with it (camera store combo package) and started using Maxells, which is why I had concern about changing now.

Tom Hardwick October 22nd, 2010 01:34 AM

Maxell, JVC, Canon, Sony, Panasonic - nothing wrong with any of them. Some of the 'HDV' and DVCAM tapes cost more but it's all the same stuff, and any tape that will physically fit your cassette compartment will record anything that your heads will lay down onto it. More expensive tape MAY suffer less dropout, but there's no guarantee on that one.

Yes, use any head cleaning tape you like, in the rec or play mode. Note however that such a tape does nothing for the tape path itself, so if you've gunk on the capstan or rollers the cleaning tape won't shift it.

Don't forget that the first time you use a new tape is when it sheds the most, so often you're asked for the cleaner when you're feeling at your most indignant - but hey, I used a new tape! So I've recycled mine for years and years as when you know you've got a good one, it's worth keeping.

tom.

Robert M Wright October 23rd, 2010 01:22 PM

You can get a box of 10 Panny EJ tapes, delivered to your door, for less than $25 from B&H Photo. No need to go anywhere (and waste expensive gasoline either). They work fine.

Heiko Saele October 23rd, 2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1580734)
In the old days it made good sense not to switch brands, but that was 10 years ago. Nowadays all is well, and I switch between all sorts of tapes in my DSR11 and FX1 with no worries at all. Of course you could run the tape head cleaner between brands but quite honestly I don't even bother doing that these days.

I think you still shouldn't switch tape brands on a daily basis, but a one-time switch from one to the other shouldn't be a big deal. Use a cleaning tape in between, then use the other brand.