DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   What should I do with these? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/490333-what-should-i-do-these.html)

Colin McDonald January 18th, 2011 01:48 PM

What should I do with these?

1 Attachment(s)
(Polite answers only please - this is a family show!)

I was sent these as part as a of a batch of JVC 60 minute DV tapes (worryingly the order was still short as I seem to have taken the last of the stock from this supplier).

I have never used 80 minute tapes, and after a bit of searching here found that opinion was a bit divided as to whether it's a good idea to use them at all, stick to only the highest quality brands, or go ahead as they are perfectly reliable.

So, with the benefit of another couple of years of hindsight, what's the opinion on these?

Choose from the options below or add your own wisdom:

1 Use them like any other tape
2 Keep them until I absolutely have to record something 75 minutes long without a break
3 Wait until they are the LAST TWO blank tapes in the world
4 Chuck 'em down the nearest disused mineshaft (plenty round here) as they will be *instant death* to my new HV40.

Vince Pachiano January 19th, 2011 12:20 AM

Option #5

I'm not a tape expert, but I use freecycle.com to unload stuff I don't need, but hate to throw away.
I had a case of brand-new Audio Cassette tapes, but no need for them
Put a posting on freecycle.com in my area, and found a local lady that was
interviewing aging war veterans for a genealogy project.
My worthless junk was her found treasure

Mike Marriage January 20th, 2011 05:28 AM

I've used hundreds of 80 min tapes and they're very handy when something lasts for "about an hour."

The picture quality is of course the same as the same digital signal is being recorded but I've heard rumours that the tape is thinner and less reliable. However, I have never noticed any increase in dropouts in real world usage. I would keep them handy for when you need them.

Lee Mullen January 20th, 2011 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1608769)
(Polite answers only please - this is a family show!)

I was sent these as part as a of a batch of JVC 60 minute DV tapes (worryingly the order was still short as I seem to have taken the last of the stock from this supplier).

I have never used 80 minute tapes, and after a bit of searching here found that opinion was a bit divided as to whether it's a good idea to use them at all, stick to only the highest quality brands, or go ahead as they are perfectly reliable.

So, with the benefit of another couple of years of hindsight, what's the opinion on these?

Choose from the options below or add your own wisdom:

1 Use them like any other tape
2 Keep them until I absolutely have to record something 75 minutes long without a break
3 Wait until they are the LAST TWO blank tapes in the world
4 Chuck 'em down the nearest disused mineshaft (plenty round here) as they will be *instant death* to my new HV40.

Quality will be the same as 60min tapes. You may get the extra odd drop out but nothing much.