Sony DSR-20: Black & Code: Mini-DV timecode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony DSR-20: Black & Code: Mini-DV timecode?

I am using FCP 5 and a Sony DSR-20. I want to use that deck to stripe tapes for use in my Canon GL-2s and in my new Panasonic AG-DVX100A. I know that the benefit or lack thereof of striping has been discussed on these forums ad naseum, and this isn't a question about the relative merits of striping tape. For me, since I have 2 other people shooting who I cannot be sure will not mess up the timecode, it is simply less frustrating for me to stripe the tapes. So if it means more wear, so be it.

BTW, I am using Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ tapes.

Here is my problem: If I stripe the tapes in any of the camcorders, they run out to about 1:04. If I stripe them in the DSR-20, the time code only runs out to 0:42. I know this means the DSR is recording in DV-CAM mode, which runs about a third faster. However, this negates the benefit of striping, since the camcorders will start laying their own timecode, and the 2/3 difference in timecode rate has the net result of allowing timecode breaks if careful practices aren't maintained. And as I mentioned, I cannot count on careful timecode practice.

My question is, can I force the DSR to record at Mini-DV speed? I am using the Black and Code feature of FCP, which will run the DSR, but which does not seem to force it to record mini-DV.
Otto Bartsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line