DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   HELP, I must switch tape brands (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/50590-help-i-must-switch-tape-brands.html)

Eric James September 6th, 2005 03:25 AM

HELP, I must switch tape brands

Hey everyone,
I've been using TDK mini dv tapes for years in my vx-2000 and now in my FX-1 since I upgraded.

For some reason the tapes are no longer available from my normal sources. I would like to switch to a new brand of tape, but I want to make sure I don't mess up the heads in the process.

What would be the best tape to switch to from the TDK tape?

Thanks in advance,
Eric James

Don Bloom September 6th, 2005 03:49 AM

I've only used Panasonic PQs in both my 150s, old but still running VX1000 and JVC5000-Doesn't matter what tape you decide to use though, make sure you use a head cleaning tape BEFORE using the new tape stock. Follow the instructions properly if it says 5 seconds then goe for 5 seconds not 10-if it says to wait 3 minutes before making a second pass then wait 3 minutes. Wah tI saying is too many people figure if 5 seconds is good then 10 ought to be great and why wait 3 minutes. I'll just make tat 2nd or 3rd pass now. Head and transport replacement on the 150 is roughly $800-I'm sure the 2000 is about the same-so why rush it by using a cleaning tape improperly which will damage the heads.
Pick a tape whatever your preference and stick with it.
Don

Gints Klimanis September 6th, 2005 03:48 PM

Eric,

If you're in the USA, try CostCo. I've been buying TDK miniDV tapes there
for many years.

Eric James September 6th, 2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis
Eric,

If you're in the USA, try CostCo. I've been buying TDK miniDV tapes there
for many years.

Hey Gints,
That's where I have been buying as well. They seem to have stopped carrying them. The dept head says they have more on order but no predicted delivery date.

Thanks,
Eric James

Jay Gladwell September 7th, 2005 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric James
That's [CostCo] where I have been buying as well. They seem to have stopped carrying them. The dept head says they have more on order but no predicted delivery date.

This is why you should buy tape from a dealer who specializes in selling video tape, not groceries and other sundry items.

Jay

Bruce Linden September 7th, 2005 09:13 AM

CostCo, Sam's, BJ's and other wholesale clubs are going to buy tapes and whatever from the supplier that can give them the best prices. That's what they are all about, best price. Offering you a consistent supply is not their goal.

One supplier that I talked to said that Sam's/Walmart would buy his product if he would wait 120 days for payment. That's another consideration about the type of product they offer. Nice deal for Sam's etc. get the product and have 120 days to distribute and sell it before you have to pay for it.

Buying from a source that can consistently sell you the same product at a fair price is the best way to go. If you charge a fair price, you should be willing to pay a fair price.