miniDV tapes with memory chips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 10th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

miniDV tapes with memory chips?

Hey guys,

I've seen these tapes listed on various web sites. Never actually seen one in a store. Never tried one... they tend to be a lot more money.

What is the memory inside the chip used for? Do all cameras use this memory? It seems like a small amount of RAM, 4K in most cases.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Charlie
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #2
Wrangler

I don't use them either, however I think the main advantage is that they store the location of the end of the last video segment. This will allow the "end search" feature to work on the tape even after it's been removed and reinserted in the camera. Otherwise you can only use end search while the tape is still in the camera and has not been turned off.

I think they can also store some form of crude titles created by the camera menu functions.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #3

The memory chip saves the camera settings for those camera programmed to use memory chips.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:35 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

As indicated above, this only works with camera's supporting said chip!! I don't
believe there are a lot that have support for it. Just so you know.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

OK, so it doesn't seem like anyone has any experience with this themselves and it sounds like it's not very common.

I have a Canon GL2. I don't see anything in the manual that says it will use tapes with the memory in them. Does anyone know if this is true?
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Durand
OK, so it doesn't seem like anyone has any experience with this themselves and it sounds like it's not very common.

I have a Canon GL2. I don't see anything in the manual that says it will use tapes with the memory in them. Does anyone know if this is true?
Those chips will not work in the GL2.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I work for a company that does a lot of presentations and I use memory chip tapes a lot to store prerecorded video on. Mainly I just use them to create a crude menu that allows me to skip to various areas of the tape. While I think they can be nice for shooting, I don’t really think the extra expense is worth it.
Jeff Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line