DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   1989 VHS-C, some loss data. Anyway to recover? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/508734-1989-vhs-c-some-loss-data-anyway-recover.html)

Dave Morgan June 22nd, 2012 03:41 PM

1989 VHS-C, some loss data. Anyway to recover?

I have a VHS-C from 1989, some of the video was playable and looks fine, so I was able to transfer that. However parts of it are ONLY audio, with a Blue screen.

I have tried 2 different players. Are there more professional players out there that could possibly playback and recover what is there?

R Geoff Baker June 22nd, 2012 07:01 PM

Re: 1989 VHS-C, some loss data. Anyway to recover?

VHS-C is simply a VHS tape in a compact shell -- the recording is in everyway a VHS recording. I used to have an adapter shell you could place the VHS-C tape in, then place the shell in any VHS player ...

So yes, there are better VHS players. Typically they have wider heads and can't read an EP/SLP recording, they are SP only. They usually have a wider tracking range, and maybe better abilities to lock to off-speed tapes. Perhaps a TBC built in.

So if you have a conversion shell, take the tape & shell to a production house with VHS capability. If you don't have the shell, you may have to call around to find a facility that does -- or one that has a high-end deck that can take the VHS-C shell directly.

Cheers,
GB

Dave Barnes June 22nd, 2012 08:56 PM

You might look for someone with one of the famous JVC BR-S22DXU series decks... these were serious PRO SVHS broadcast decks (that can playback vhs SP only) AND had a dual loading mechanism to handle VHS or S-VHS-C tapes....without any adapter... What you probably need is the 525-DXU model which has variable tracking for slow motion....

Bob Hart June 26th, 2012 08:51 AM

You may find that an even older VHS player with VHS-C adaptor may "hang on" past the point where the newer players drop out to a blue screen, otherwise its the excellent JVC VHS/SVHS/DV decks which may be your saviour. Model HR-DVS1 is one such. You may be better off with the deck capturing via the <- dub arrangement but taking the signal to your computer via firewire rather than tyrying to dub to the DV deck on this dual recorder.

Warren Kawamoto June 26th, 2012 01:47 PM

Try looking for an older JVC professional deck with a built in time base corrector.

Jeff Dean July 30th, 2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Geoff Baker (Post 1739738)
VHS-C is simply a VHS tape in a compact shell -- the recording is in everyway a VHS recording. I used to have an adapter shell you could place the VHS-C tape in, then place the shell in any VHS player ...

So yes, there are better VHS players. Typically they have wider heads and can't read an EP/SLP recording, they are SP only. They usually have a wider tracking range, and maybe better abilities to lock to off-speed tapes. Perhaps a TBC built in.

So if you have a conversion shell, take the tape & shell to a production house with VHS capability. If you don't have the shell, you may have to call around to find a facility that does -- or one that has a high-end deck that can take the VHS-C shell directly.

Cheers,
GB

The adapter shell that you place in the VHSC tape in is what I have used. But I noticed on a couple of the tapes I lost tracking at the end and ended up with some terrible tracking lines (snow) through the video.
Is that because of the adapter or I suspect, because something is wrong with the tracking on the tapes?