1989 VHS-C, some loss data. Anyway to recover? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

1989 VHS-C, some loss data. Anyway to recover?

I have a VHS-C from 1989, some of the video was playable and looks fine, so I was able to transfer that. However parts of it are ONLY audio, with a Blue screen.

I have tried 2 different players. Are there more professional players out there that could possibly playback and recover what is there?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 1989 VHS-C, some loss data. Anyway to recover?

VHS-C is simply a VHS tape in a compact shell -- the recording is in everyway a VHS recording. I used to have an adapter shell you could place the VHS-C tape in, then place the shell in any VHS player ...

So yes, there are better VHS players. Typically they have wider heads and can't read an EP/SLP recording, they are SP only. They usually have a wider tracking range, and maybe better abilities to lock to off-speed tapes. Perhaps a TBC built in.

So if you have a conversion shell, take the tape & shell to a production house with VHS capability. If you don't have the shell, you may have to call around to find a facility that does -- or one that has a high-end deck that can take the VHS-C shell directly.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You might look for someone with one of the famous JVC BR-S22DXU series decks... these were serious PRO SVHS broadcast decks (that can playback vhs SP only) AND had a dual loading mechanism to handle VHS or S-VHS-C tapes....without any adapter... What you probably need is the 525-DXU model which has variable tracking for slow motion....
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You may find that an even older VHS player with VHS-C adaptor may "hang on" past the point where the newer players drop out to a blue screen, otherwise its the excellent JVC VHS/SVHS/DV decks which may be your saviour. Model HR-DVS1 is one such. You may be better off with the deck capturing via the <- dub arrangement but taking the signal to your computer via firewire rather than tyrying to dub to the DV deck on this dual recorder.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Trustee

Try looking for an older JVC professional deck with a built in time base corrector.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Geoff Baker View Post
VHS-C is simply a VHS tape in a compact shell -- the recording is in everyway a VHS recording. I used to have an adapter shell you could place the VHS-C tape in, then place the shell in any VHS player ...

So yes, there are better VHS players. Typically they have wider heads and can't read an EP/SLP recording, they are SP only. They usually have a wider tracking range, and maybe better abilities to lock to off-speed tapes. Perhaps a TBC built in.

So if you have a conversion shell, take the tape & shell to a production house with VHS capability. If you don't have the shell, you may have to call around to find a facility that does -- or one that has a high-end deck that can take the VHS-C shell directly.

Cheers,
GB

The adapter shell that you place in the VHSC tape in is what I have used. But I noticed on a couple of the tapes I lost tracking at the end and ended up with some terrible tracking lines (snow) through the video.
Is that because of the adapter or I suspect, because something is wrong with the tracking on the tapes?
Jeff Dean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line