DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Suggestion to capture mini dv tape (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/51605-suggestion-capture-mini-dv-tape.html)

Leonardo Silva Jr. September 23rd, 2005 10:57 AM

Suggestion to capture mini dv tape

Hello guys, i'm planning to buy a camera as a deck to transfer the video taken by GL2, any suggestion that will work fine with this application.

Yeah i've seen that any minidv camera will do but, by any chance, does anyone have experience in doing this? or all of you use a high-priced deck? would like to get some feedback which model of camcorder is best in doing this in terms of robustness and price. thank you very much.

Michael Plunkett September 24th, 2005 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
Hello guys, i'm planning to buy a camera as a deck to transfer the video taken by GL2, any suggestion that will work fine with this application.

Yeah i've seen that any minidv camera will do but, by any chance, does anyone have experience in doing this? or all of you use a high-priced deck? would like to get some feedback which model of camcorder is best in doing this in terms of robustness and price. thank you very much.

Im new myself, but I bought along with my gl2 a zr200. It was the best move I made. It captures like a champ. Feels solid.

Danny Santos September 25th, 2005 06:35 AM

I use Canon GL2 to video and my Canon Elura is hooked up via firewire to my PC for video capture. Works great!

Dale Guthormsen September 26th, 2005 03:32 PM

canon?

i have been considering this exact idea. do you think one should stay with the same brand or buy a more econimical brand?

gus

Richard Tamayo September 26th, 2005 05:09 PM

I also use a gl2 and a zr200. I have also used the zr200 to pass through my 8 year old analog video from my sony and it works like a champ.

Leonardo Silva Jr. September 27th, 2005 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
i have been considering this exact idea. do you think one should stay with the same brand or buy a more econimical brand?

gus

I've got GL2 too, and planning to get the low cost sony to hook into PC via firewire. I think it wouldn't make any difference if it has different brands, just don't mix brand of tapes, because of the different lubrication it uses which are discussed on other threads.

Jeremy Davidson September 27th, 2005 11:37 AM

'Just thought I'd chime in. My first camera was an Optura 20. I now use it primarily for capturing tapes shot in my GL2. Works great.

Concerning the same brand, I suppose you could run a slightly higher risk of tape alignment problems or LP mode issues with different brands, but this is only speculation on my part and should be considered as such. My cameras just happen to be the same brand, though I have used the Optura to capture footage taken by other cameras as well (Canon XL1s, Sony PD-150 in DV mode, plus JVC and RCA camcorders, maybe even a Sharp once).

David Ennis September 30th, 2005 06:45 AM

I use my Pany GS200 for capturing it's own tapes plus those of my GL2 and VX2100. No problems.

And with all due respect, since the "use one brand of tape" thing was mentioned, I want to give equal time to the other point of view: I consider that advice baseless, and I have always ignored it with great success.