Brand specific decks required to convert/digitize PAL HDV to NTSC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 19th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Brand specific decks required to convert/digitize PAL HDV to NTSC?

Hello all,
I have about 15 HDV tapes shot in PAL for a job. The tapes were shot on two separate cameras, one a Canon and one a Sony. I don't have any more details from the shooter. I took them a place that does PAL-NTSC conversions (Dub Express/Express Media - in California), but for some reason their Sony PAL deck wouldn't read the tapes. I had never heard of this before. The guy there said that if it was shot on a Canon sometimes their Sony decks won't read the tapes. Does this mean I have to somehow track down someplace with a Canon PAL deck in order to convert this footage to NTSC, or even to digitize it? Has anyone had to handle this before? I didn't realize these tapes and decks were brand specific. Any ways around this? So far I have a relatively flexible deadline, but I"d like to get these at least digitized soon if possible...
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Brand specific decks required to convert/digitize PAL HDV to NTSC?

If the Canon tapes were shot using their propriety 24f system, the Sony decks will not reckognise them.

You're going to have to find a Canon HDV camera to get them downloaded, no other way to do it.

Cheapest way is to find a s/h HV20, 30, or 40 and snap it up, it'll do the job.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

dang... there's always surprises with these tapes. do you think that if I find a PAL Canon Vixia that it will be able playback the Sony HDV tapes? thanks for your help!
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't think so, for the same reason the Sony decks won't read the Canon tapes.

However, as you're definitely going to need a Canon HDV camera to read the Canon tapes, no harm trying.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Amsterdam companies - convert/digitize PAL HDV to NTSC?

Thanks for the advice Chris. I think I may just wait until I'm in PAL-land in a month and see if I can have things digitized there. Does anyone know of any companies that might do this kind of either digitization or conversion in Amsterdam?
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line