Will used MiniDV tape contaminated a camera? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew
Will used MiniDV tape contaminated a camera?

FYI This question refers to the "stick to one brand" theory/myth.

I put a fresh new tape in to camera_[A] to record, then take the recorded tape to camera_[B] to playback the footage, then put the tape back in to camera_[A] to record over the previous footage.

camera_[A] Has ONLY used ONE brand of MiniDV Tape
camera_[B] has used VARIOUS brands of MiniDV Tape's

My question is:

Will the tape contaminated/dirty camera_[A] heads after it's been playback from camera_[B]
David Aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle
As a rule I use only fresh tapes right out of the cellophane in my cameras. I know of other pros who do the same.

Swapping tapes isn't worth the risk of contaminating a camera whose primary function is to gather material reliably on the first pass.
Dean Sensui
Exec Producer, Hawaii Goes Fishing
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew
I know what you mean about reusing tape for experimentation with video methods. I swap the same tape over and over because I do not care about drop outs while I am taping specifically for finding the look that I will be taping when I find what I am looking for.

Here is what I have done based on what I have read. I don't have enough time to say it works. I also cannot say that one camera test means much anyway.

1. The first tape should contaminate the most. I think I would never reshoot on it from the point I played it on camera 'b'. I would record on 'a' capture on 'b' and then record only from the point of the tape with 'a'.

2. After 60 minutes of the first tape, I assume the cross contamination that could possibly exist is stuck to the heads of camera 'b' already or picked up by tape 1.

3. The minimal residue of tape 2 will barely be around for problems or a big bunch of gunk will drop off of camera 'b' onto the tape and then transfer from the tape to camera 'a' at some point in time.

My deck is a used camcorder with unknown tape use. I used a head cleaner when bought and reuse tapes at my own risk between it and my camera 'a' with no bad effects. Maybe I use the same tapes as the former owner? Maybe the same brand thing is over paranoid?

I think points 1-3 are the things to think about in this case. Maybe others will chime in.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line