Survey - how many of us still shooting on tape? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:24 PM   #76
Wrangler

Re: Survey - how many of us still shooting on tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Heeps View Post
Most of the tapes , of jobs done for other people , don't have any personal meaning to me

Transferring 400 tapes onto one drive strikes me as putting all your eggs in one basket : if that drive goes blotto , you've lost the lot
I agree, there is no point in capturing tapes that you don't care about.

Yes, I also have some concerns about losing a 5TB drive full of video, but of course that's why I have a backup on an identical drive. I use Carbon Copy Cloner on the Mac, and it can incrementally update a clone, which makes it easy. As the drive gets fuller and time passes, I intend to add more backup copies. Have got two milk crate full of drives going back to about 2001, and really have not lost all the much on them. Recently I cloned them all to another 5TB drive (with a backup).

I have about 600 movies and 600 TV shows ripped from my DVD collection on my iTunes server also. I use a 3TB drive for the library there, and rotate two additional 3TB drives for backups (automatically executed every night). And of course I still have all the original DVD's as well.

IMO, "data is data", it doesn't matter where a drive contains 400 tapes, 50,000 MS Word files, or just one satellite image of the entire US. I don't see why the same backup strategy wouldn't work for all of these. The more valuable the data, do more backups and have more offsite locations.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 03:01 PM   #77
Regular Crew

More than I would have thought still like tape :)

I have to agree with most replies... I feel tape is my only true reliable archive... I have tapes including S-VHS, Hi8, 3/4" , Beta SP, Digi Beta , DV, DVCAM, HDV, and even some HDCAM in the collection of the last 25 years, all projects that I have shot or mastered that are worth saving for me. I have lost a few hard disks over the years that were NOT backed up, but I still have the source DV / HDV tapes if / when I need them.
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #78
Regular Crew

SD cards are cheap enough that I can just add them to the budget for most of my projects and just keep them as masters.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line