Can capturing wear out a camera/deck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Can capturing wear out a camera/deck?

I need to capture over a hundred tapes for a monster project and am wondering if it'll wear out the equipment. Right now I don't have a deck, I capture on a Canon Optura XI and a Sony HC20. Each cam captures two tapes, then takes a break, and gets drycleaned after a dozen or so tapes.

I just worry that the gear might not make it. These are my "cheaper" cameras but I'll still be bummed if they die. The Sony always needs "help" while loading and I fret for it the most. Has anyone killed a camera by capturing too much stuff?
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

just what i have read through the forums is yes cameras will wear out from capturing,film and so forth. I think you are going about it the right way maybe purchase a third camera just in case it one of them does fail on you while your capturing....that way you have on hand ready to go. Keep it boxed up that way if you dont use it just return it.
Kevin Calumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes the cams will wear out. Now having said that I use a JVC 1 chip for capture-I've used it for 3 years or so and has more hours on it than I care to even think about. I do 40-50 weddings a year (did 171 from 2002-2004 with 45 on the books for 2005) at 4 to 5 tapes per job plus corp work that can be from 1 to 20 tapes per job. Forget the corp stuff-just the weddings. 171 plus 39 already this year = 210Xsay 4 tapes each = 840 tapes of about 1 hour each. This camera/deck probably has around 1200 hours (if you add the corporate work, commericals etc to it-the stuff I really don't track in my head. I'm telling you this because when it dies and it will soon, it'll go into the trash and I'll go and buy another one for about $300 and be good to go again for another 800 to 1000 hours of capture.
If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the cameras crappin' out on you-they will but I would guess from your description, not anytime soon.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Of course it will put wear on the machine...but that's what it's intended for.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Miller
Has anyone killed a camera by capturing too much stuff?
I just killed the rewind on my Optura Xi, but that's after 4-5 years of heavy use. Thankfully, I'd bought a separate rewinder, which had been sitting idle on my desk for about a year.

Tape is great, but the tape mechanism is probably the most fragile item on a camcorder.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line