Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:07 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 433
Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?

Hi there. I'm looking to transfer the footage from my miniDV tapes to my computer. The tapes are all SD. There may be one or two DVCAM in there as well.

I have an older computer here that has a firewire port on it, so I'm thinking I can try to clean up the old software (Windows is running sluggish) and then get a new/recent video capture software and then transfer the footage in real time playing (1 hour of tape must be played to get the full 60 minutes).

For this transfer, I'd like to ask THREE QUESTIONS:

1) What is the best format to save it as for best quality and future editing? Is it the normal AVI file that I used to capture the transfer in? Or MP4?

2) What software(s) available today is the easiest and best one to do the trick? I don't mean an NLE editing software, but a simple one is fine.

Links?

3) Its not possible to save in HD....like there isn't software that will upconvert is there?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ronald
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,795
Re: Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?

1. Premiere subscribe for one month for $20 guaranteed to work. HitFilm Express it’s got ads and isn’t as robust but it’s FREE (not sure if it can import via firewire/tape.) There are many other software choices out there.

2. Export it as Mpg4/H264 or Mpg2 for dvd. Any software will import it as dv format that you will export to mpeg2/4 to be able play on other devices.

3. There is no point upscaling to HD waste of time and space.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; August 15th, 2018 at 08:35 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 292
Re: Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?

2) WinDV Super small footprint, and its free. I've transferred hundreds of tapes with it.
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 01:10 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 250
Re: Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Lee View Post
Hi there. I'm looking to transfer the footage from my miniDV tapes to my computer. The tapes are all SD. There may be one or two DVCAM in there as well.

I have an older computer here that has a firewire port on it, so I'm thinking I can try to clean up the old software (Windows is running sluggish) and then get a new/recent video capture software and then transfer the footage in real time playing (1 hour of tape must be played to get the full 60 minutes).

For this transfer, I'd like to ask THREE QUESTIONS:

1) What is the best format to save it as for best quality and future editing? Is it the normal AVI file that I used to capture the transfer in? Or MP4?

2) What software(s) available today is the easiest and best one to do the trick? I don't mean an NLE editing software, but a simple one is fine.

Links?

3) Its not possible to save in HD....like there isn't software that will upconvert is there?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ronald
I save the captured .avi files; they are basically bit for bit copies of the DV tape and are the best quality before further recompression to MP4 or MPEG2 (DVD). A one hour file is about 13GB, so it's possible to "archive" over 70 1hour DV tapes on a 1TB hard drive.
Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 01:57 AM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,036
Re: Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?

Captured countless hours of DV with Scenalyzerlive. Andreas Winter now makes this program freely available since he is no longer developing it. You can capture entire tapes regardless of broken time code or or CTL troubles. If you select the "Scene Detection" method it will capture the tape as single scenes as it detects every camera stop / start. While capturing you can if you wish split files, rename files etc. You can also do still grabs with it. Scenalyzer can also capture live streams from a DV source. Used to capture live feeds in lengthy legal court judiciary hearings. Converting them to DVDs on the fly for court records. Great little program with a decent interface. Still use it on occasions when needed.

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?-scenalyzer-01.jpg   Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?-scenalyzer-02.jpg  

Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 02:55 PM   #6
Tourist
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1
Re: Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Pachiano View Post
2) WinDV Super small footprint, and its free. I've transferred hundreds of tapes with it.
I give my vote to WinDV as well.
It's dead simple to use, works well even on very old computer and creates perfect digital copy of your video.
Marcel Dubovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 05:50 AM   #7
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 4,369
Re: Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?

As noted above the DV AVI captured via IEEE1394 (aka: FireWire and iLink) should be an exact copy of the information on the tape. If doing serious image restoration work you may want to use a lossless intermediate codec to minimize encoding/decoding losses.

If you already have NLE software it may be able to capture the video via IEEE1394 already.

There is no reason to upscale the DV file to HD. You gain no resolution, just a larger file. In general the best upscale results for viewing on a HDTV will come from the media player, e.g., a DVD played on a BluRay player.



.
__________________
dpalomaki@dspalomaki.com
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 05:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: England
Posts: 31
Re: Transfering miniDV to PC - Best Software(s) to do the trick right now is....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Dubovsky View Post
I give my vote to WinDV as well.
It's dead simple to use, works well even on very old computer and creates perfect digital copy of your video.
Another vote for WinDV. Never failed me, anyway, and a new .avi file for each time you pull the trigger.
Brian Dollemore is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Adorama
(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

VideoGuys
(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2019 The Digital Video Information Network