DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   JVC SR-VS20 SVHS firewire out? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/55717-jvc-sr-vs20-svhs-firewire-out.html)

Vincent Croce December 8th, 2005 08:28 AM

JVC SR-VS20 SVHS firewire out?

Just picked up a JVC SR-VS20 deck to save on cam wear during editing. The only feature of the deck (that I read was supported) I can't get to function is capturing SVHS via firewire/ilink to my pc. The dv side works perfectly...does anyone know if I'm relegated to just the analog svideo out to my capture card, or is there a setting I haven't touched on yet? Thanks for any info at all--it's hard to come by on the net since it's not the newest model on the block.
Vin

Mike Cavanaugh December 8th, 2005 09:39 AM

I have the JVC SR-VS30 and have had no problems

Vincent Croce December 8th, 2005 09:47 AM

Maybe I was misinformed and that's not a feature the vs20 model supports.
Thanks, Mike.

Boyd Ostroff December 8th, 2005 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Croce
capturing SVHS via firewire/ilink to my pc. The dv side works perfectly...

Just curious... what do you mean by "capturing SVHS via firewire"? SVHS is an analog format... does anyone support that over firewire? The only things I've seen sent over firewire are DV50 and MPEG4, but admittedly I'm no expert on this sort of thing :-)

Mike Cavanaugh December 8th, 2005 10:23 AM

Boyd, The decks we are talking about has a mini DV deck on one side and an SVHS deck on the other side. There is a firewire I/O port in addition to composite and Y/C I/0 jacks. You can play an analog source on the S-VHS side and the deck will output through the firewire for capture. Sort of a clumsy, expensive BOB!

Vincent Croce December 8th, 2005 10:23 AM

Boyd-
This is a dual deck--dv and svhs. I've found some scattered info, even on this forum, leading me to believe the deck would do the av/dv conversion before sending out via firewire. That's one of the features I bought the deck for. I suppose it's not a big deal capturing via my vid card and letting it convert it for me--I was just trying to cut down on cable clutter, and hoping the deck would do a better conversion job for me.
Thanks for the response, though.

Clint Till December 13th, 2005 04:48 PM

Vincent. I recently purchased the JVC SR-VS30U and found the same problem. I tried to capture analog via firewire alone, but it didn't work. I hooked up the deck to my computer via RCA. Apparently that's how you can capture an analog signal. The deck doesn't automatically convert analog to digital through firewire (at least not in my experiences).

Rob Wilson December 13th, 2005 05:13 PM

I'm using a 30 that converts vhs to dv to Firewire no problem. If I recall, I just play the VHS (SVHS) tape, have the dub switches set to VHS to DV and it does the conversion and outputs on the firewire. That deck is in use right now so I can't verify but give it a shot. If it still doesn't work, let me know and I'll verify the settings.

Vincent Croce December 14th, 2005 08:36 AM

Bingo!

Thanks, Rob. Your setting worked for me-even on my VS20 deck. Svhs to dv dub was the key. Don't know why I expected it to output digitally by just running the vhs tape. Goodbye rca cables.