gv-d300 noise while powered on at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 27th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

gv-d300 noise while powered on

i just got a used gv-d300 on ebay from what appears to be a reputible seller. it makes a lot of noise when just turned on. even without functioning. it appears to be a little fan that just runs and runs.
is this normal for this unit?
thanks a lot.
Gregory S. Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #2
Major Player

As far as I can remember I believe this qiute normal. I am fairly sure mine did.

regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #3
Trustee

a "lot of noise" is kind of subjective... i can barely hear mine running, but my ears are tweaked... you'll probably want to plug it into a power strip, because it never fully powers down, even with the on/off switch turned off.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

another problem

i have reconciled the noise problem, it is just the little fan now. the whining/bad hard drive type sound went away. i think it was because it was physically cold when i first plugged it in from being outside in the delivery box.
but now there are two questions:

1- i am getting the 'caution' light coming on and remains flashing fairly often. i downloaded the manual and it makes no reference to this particualr problem except when two specific icons show on the screen- which i do not get. i just get what appears to be an eject icon in the middle of the screen.

2- the player makes a rattling noise when rew/ff a tape. it sounds like the tape is out of balance or something, but all tapes do it.

sorry to be longwinded, but i am going to ask the ebay seller to take back if these are serious. the seller is a production company who has converted over to hard drives for capture in hd and was moving out old equip.

thanks for the replys and i will be sure to help out when i gain more exp, i am just getting started in moviemaking. enough of medical fld for me!
Gregory S. Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

final answer

turns out the guy who did the estimate noted that thier were:

worn 'arms'
worn belts
fan on last leg

this thing apparently is at the end of its effective service life. the seller is taking back. i will no longer be purchasing used electronic items that can wear out. only new w/ an extended warranty preferably.
thx
gso
Gregory S. Ouellette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line