What Mini Dv Tape Is Best? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:25 AM   #16
Tourist

Fuji film

I have a Canon XL2 and have been using Fuji DVM60 ME mini DV tape.
My camera is only a few months old and I have had no problim with using Fuji so fare.
I have run around 6 tapes through.
Has anyone had any trouble with this brand of tape?
Is it a recommended brand to use?
Glen Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #17
Tourist

Fuji Mini DV tapes

OK I have now run about 30 Fuji DVM60 ME mini DV tapes through my XL2 since I last commented. I also use a Panasonic camcorder and use the same tapes.
I have had no trouble at all with the Fuji tapes.
In fact I am just about to place an order for another 20 tapes.
Old July 20th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Just run the cleaner tape before every shoot. Dirt of any type causes dropouts.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #19
Tourist

What tape is best - Sony Premium

My wife and I shot a wedding and couldn't find one of the tapes. One of those "it was just here" situations. We looked everywhere then we checked the laundry, the tape had gone through the washer in my pocket. Then through the dryer. I hesitated to even put it in the xl-2 for fear of moisture, but it was warm and very dry! Amazingly it played perfect! No loss of quality against the other tapes. So for us Sony Premium is #1.
Karl Hildreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Dean,

I've run Fuji Tapes since they came on the market, 25 - 30 yr's or so ???

Never had an issue with them, but have had issues with all other brands at one time or another, when I tried other's. Fuji has been consistantly the best for me - through some 10 Cams and 20+ recorders.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hildreth View Post
My wife and I shot a wedding and couldn't find one of the tapes. One of those "it was just here" situations. We looked everywhere then we checked the laundry, the tape had gone through the washer in my pocket. Then through the dryer. I hesitated to even put it in the xl-2 for fear of moisture, but it was warm and very dry! Amazingly it played perfect! No loss of quality against the other tapes. So for us Sony Premium is #1.
Karl, that tape is now what is termed 'contaminated' I'd copy the material then throw it out. Run the head cleaner through your transports.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hildreth View Post
That would be a great commercial for the durability of Sony Prems. By the way, I also use Sony Premiums. I found a great place on amazon to get mine. If you search minidv sony the company is called streamline Audio Video. And no, I'm not affiliated with them I just like their prices ($11.99 pk of 5) and delivery is quick. Also, Amazon themselves has a great deal.

Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Sony FTW

I only use sony brand tapes in my cameras. They are the cheapest while still being reliable. In sony's case, once you pick the brand, there are many different choices of tapes that fit and work in MiniDV and HDV cameras. The only difference between them is reliability. The more expensive tapes are more durable and able to take more use and last longer if used for storage.
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #24
Tourist

I have made a change on the brand of mini DV tape I use.
As I mentioned before I use to use Fuji mini DV and had no problem except I am no longer able to get bulk amounts of them.
I now have changed to Panasonic brand tapes and between my cameras I have use around 40-50 tapes so far with only a couple of drop outs.
I chose to use the Panasonic brand because the film school I went to use them with no problem.

I now use the Panasonic FF consumer grade in my single chip camcorders when teaching kids video classes, Panasonic PQ in the XL2 and Panasonic AMQ in the XH-A1 camcorder and been very happy with the whole Panasonic range.

It's Panasonic all they way and I can easily get them in bulk lots.
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #25
Major Player

I use the Sony DVM60PRR tapes almost exclusively. They cost about $2.50 each and I have yet to experience a failure or drop out. I have used a couple of the much more expensive Sony DVM63HD but can't see any difference in the end product or reliability. I don't use the tapes much, just capture the footage, xfer to PC, then keep them for archiving. I rarely use them again.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line