DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   What Mini Dv Tape Is Best? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/59920-what-mini-dv-tape-best.html)

Dean Orewiler February 5th, 2006 08:34 AM

What Mini Dv Tape Is Best?

What mini dv tape is best? I have no idea what the other owner of my camera used and can't get a hold of him - I would like to find out what brand he used so I can stick with it, but I can't...I did order a head cleaner that I was going to use first before using a new brand of tape....

what tape is best?? Somebody said a tape with the dvpro writing on it. PS: i have the XL1s and will be using it professionally for dvd transfers.

Boyd Ostroff February 5th, 2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Somebody said a tape with the minidv writing on it.
Heh, I think it will need to say that to even fit your camera :-)

Dean Orewiler February 5th, 2006 12:14 PM

maybe is was dvpro...or some kind of professional standard rating.....yeah, you're right...the mini dv is kind of a requirement.

Mike Teutsch February 5th, 2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Orewiler
What mini dv tape is best? I have no idea what the other owner of my camera used and can't get a hold of him - I would like to find out what brand he used so I can stick with it, but I can't...I did order a head cleaner that I was going to use first before using a new brand of tape....

what tape is best?? Somebody said a tape with the dvpro writing on it. PS: i have the XL1s and will be using it professionally for dvd transfers.

Dean,

This question gets asked all of the time, but there is no clear answer. Just pick a good quality tape, I use Sony in my cameras, and stay with it. Since you don't know what was used before, just use the cleaning tape to clean it well, and start using what you like.

I hope that this helps.

Mike

Dean Orewiler February 5th, 2006 12:45 PM

thanks Mike

I don't see many people using Canon tapes, so using about anything seems to be the answer...I did buy a canon head cleaner even though I probably could have went with another brand. I think the guy that sold this to me said the previous owner may have used Fuji tapes because they sell a lot of them at the camera store he works at.

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2006 02:40 PM

Moved to The Long Black Line from the XL1 Watchdog.

Mike Teutsch February 5th, 2006 03:12 PM

One last suggestion!

When you do decide what brand you are going to use, find a place to buy them in bulk, and not one or two at a time at the local camera store. Not only will you save money, but then you should not have to worry about running out of tapes on a shoot.

There are many horror stories here about having to buy a tape, during a shoot, but finding your brand is unavailable. Then you will have to mix tapes, and that is where the trouble begins.

I use Sony DVM-60PR 60 Minutes Premium Mini DV Video Cassettes, and they are on sale at B&H right now. $2.99 each, but if you buy 50 they are only $2.79 each. That is a good buy!

Mike

Richard Rouillard February 5th, 2006 04:42 PM

What moini dv tape is best survey

I've been using mini-dv for about 5 years. I've used TDK, Soni, Fuji, JVC and (one) canon For 4 years in a Canon XMI and for less than one year in a in a Canon XL2. I've had 2 out of about 10 JVC tapes jam on replay after having used them on a safari holiday in Kenya. The tapes seem to have an internal spool similar to a cine film spool; ie. with side plates. I have been completely unable to replay those tapes using: the Canon XMI, Canon XL2 or my Panasonic DV10000 mastering deck. I have had no trouble whatsoever with TDK (about 100 tapes used) Sony (about 10 used) and Fuji (about 30 used).
I will now not consider using JVC again, having (I believe) shot some really nice wildlife footage in Kenya on the XM1 using it, and having been unable to capture 2 tapes because of the jamming problem. Therefore I will avoid JVC tapes like the plague from now on but am happy with the other makes I've tried..

Richard Rouillard February 5th, 2006 04:43 PM

What mini dv tape is best survey

I've been using mini-dv for about 5 years. I've used TDK, Soni, Fuji, JVC and (one) canon For 4 years in a Canon XMI and for less than one year in a in a Canon XL2. I've had 2 out of about 10 JVC tapes jam on replay after having used them on a safari holiday in Kenya. The tapes seem to have an internal spool similar to a cine film spool; ie. with side plates. I have been completely unable to replay those tapes using: the Canon XMI, Canon XL2 or my Panasonic DV10000 mastering deck. I have had no trouble whatsoever with TDK (about 100 tapes used) Sony (about 10 used) and Fuji (about 30 used).
I will now not consider using JVC again, having (I believe) shot some really nice wildlife footage in Kenya on the XM1 using it, and having been unable to capture 2 tapes because of the jamming problem. Therefore I will avoid JVC tapes like the plague from now on but am happy with the other makes I've tried..

Dean Orewiler February 5th, 2006 11:06 PM

thanks to all for your comments

I had a friend who told me to steer clear of Panasonic tapes - he used them with a Sony and it screwed up his head (gummed it up) and had to clean his heads all of the time - maybe even send his camera in - may be the lubricant on the tape. Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I may go with the Sony Brand....does Canon recommend any particular tape for their cameras. I don't find anything in their manual about any particular brand (I figured they would want you to use Canon) but they don't say anything....so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Doug Boze February 5th, 2006 11:25 PM

Canon doesn't say so becuase there's no reason to. They don't make tapes, anyway. It's like gasoline. If the manual says 87 octane, that's what you use. Period. It all comes from the same refinery, regardless of brand.

The real consensus is stick to one brand, one grade (preferably pro, not consumer) and buy in bulk. Tape is the cheapest part of any shoot. So... don't shoot yourself in the foot! All you'll do otherwise is borrow trouble and pay with regret.

Seabrook Jones February 8th, 2006 04:26 PM

Panasonic DVM63MQ - all the way

I've never had one croak on me - never had a head clog (knock,knock, noc)

You'll get an occasional drop out - maybe once every 10-20 tapes - these seem more common near the very head of the tape - so I always rec in a minute or so of bars and always get at least 2 good takes when applicable...

Clean my heads once in a blue moon (not reccomended)...

Been using 'em in xl1, xl1s for 5 & 3 years...

Only tape I've ever had choke/streach&stick was a Canon branded one - go figure...

now if i could only figure out a good way to recycle em ( please see recycle thread...)

Seabrook Jones February 8th, 2006 04:30 PM

kinda like beer...

I've always had a feeling - just a feeling - that the quality of the tape depends on how it was stored & transported as much as anything else...

Don't leave 'em in a hot car all day - that's for sure...

Garrison Hayes October 31st, 2006 03:44 PM

Canon Xl Series!!!!

Sony Premiums...hands down. the lube is very beneficial to the canon xl line...actually i think it's the same with thr GL line too.

Chris Barcellos October 31st, 2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Orewiler
I had a friend who told me to steer clear of Panasonic tapes - he used them with a Sony and it screwed up his head (gummed it up) and had to clean his heads all of the time - maybe even send his camera in - may be the lubricant on the tape. Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I may go with the Sony Brand....does Canon recommend any particular tape for their cameras. I don't find anything in their manual about any particular brand (I figured they would want you to use Canon) but they don't say anything....so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I ve used a lot of Panny tapes in my Sonys without issue. What I have refused to do is pay premium prices for Sony tapes, and I understand they use one lubricant that (wet or dry) that can create havoc with the other lubricants (wet or dry, but the opposite.) I also have used TDKs from CostCO and Fujis in both my FX1 and VX2000. Only a very occasional drop out.

I never reuse tapes, so that may mean something too.