DV Head cleaning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 24th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #1
New Boot

DV Head cleaning

I just bought a Sony DCR-HC36 MiniDV cammcorder. It's been 10 years since I used a camcorder, my last one being a Canon 8MM. In reading the threads about what tapes to use, I see mention of a message to clean the heads. How often does this need to be done, and what is the best system to use? Thanks.
Alan Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I use a dry cleaner, ... actually this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

You can use this cleaner like 10-15 times I think... Definately use it anytime you switch tape brands, but I try to run mine about once a month or less, depends on how much shooting I will be doing.

Many things have been mentioned on these forums about picking one tape brand/model and sticking with it... and I agree with it. I personally use the Sony Excellence and have had no problems with them. Many around here also like Panasonics too. The Sonys are about $7 per tape, and if you buy in multiples of 5 from B&H they come in a nice little box

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Good luck with the HC-36... I've used a HC-42 and it makes a pretty nice picture considering its a 1CCD camera, I guess the HC-36 is about the same
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Nick

Thanks for the reply. I think I will like the camcorder. Wish I had thought to ask this question yesterday, I placed an order for tapes with B&H yesterday and they already shipped it. I'ii just try to pick one up locally. I got 2 Sony Premium tapes with the camcorder so That's what I am going to try for now.
Alan Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #4
Major Player

The Premium tapes are OK, I've used them for a while, but they started giving me problems. It may have just been my camera, but they were more sensitive to moisture and temperature changes than the excellence tapes. It should be find as long as you don't switch brands too much because some tape companies use wet lubricants, and others use dry, and mixing the two is what causes problems.

Did you buy the camera new? If not, I would run the head cleaner once or twice to be sure your tapes don't get jammed up in the event they used a wet lubricant tape (I'm not sure which use wet and dry, but I do know they both exist... maybe someone else can inform us both)
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Weeks
The Premium tapes are OK, I've used them for a while, but they started giving me problems. It may have just been my camera, but they were more sensitive to moisture and temperature changes than the excellence tapes. It should be find as long as you don't switch brands too much because some tape companies use wet lubricants, and others use dry, and mixing the two is what causes problems.

Did you buy the camera new? If not, I would run the head cleaner once or twice to be sure your tapes don't get jammed up in the event they used a wet lubricant tape (I'm not sure which use wet and dry, but I do know they both exist... maybe someone else can inform us both)
Yes, I got it new. My old Canon E-80 8MM cost me $899.95 in 1989, and this one cost $348 in 2006. It is amazing how much video has advanced since then.
Alan Copeland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line