DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   Dv Playback For Recording (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/61445-dv-playback-recording.html)

Ryan Zareczny February 24th, 2006 03:14 PM

Dv Playback For Recording

OK i had a question about Quality of Video when transfered to a computer...ok my question is...I shoot with a Canon XL2, but i dont like to use my canon to playback my video when transfering to a computer...will it affect the quality if played back on a Consumer DV camera...also what affects can constant use of video playback and rewinding have on a camera like the XL2...if any?

Vic Owen February 24th, 2006 03:40 PM

Using the XL-2 for playback would just add needless (expensive) wear to your heads. I'd avoid it. Almost any inexpensive DV camera that has a firewire port will work -- it's all ones and zeros, with no degradation as found in the analog world. If it reads your tapes OK, there should be no quality loss.

Leo Pepingco February 24th, 2006 05:49 PM

oh no! I hope you havnet used XL2 for playback. It would make me very sad if you did.

They made decks for a reason, and never told anyone you dont lose quality if you use a cheap camcoder as a deck.

John L Scott February 24th, 2006 06:00 PM

Dcr-hc21

I had been looking for a palyback deck for a while and ended up buying a little Sony DCR-HC21. It's DVout and USB so it's a great inexpensive but usable camcorder/playback unit and only cost about $300. I fugure for that cost I could buy 5 to 1 to the fancy walkmans.... AND it's impressive for a backup camera too!!!

Vic Owen February 24th, 2006 10:39 PM

John --

Nice to see the Fairbanks post. I lived in Hamilton Acres back in the 70s. I worked for the FAA at the Murphy Dome radar facility. Did a little gold panning in the tailings back then, too.

Leigh Hanlon February 26th, 2006 12:36 PM

Does anybody have any recommendations on a cheap miniDV camcorder for such use?

Alan Copeland February 26th, 2006 07:13 PM

Look at the Sony DCR-HC26. It replaced the DCR-HC21 John mentioned. The 21 might still be available online for less money.

Leigh Hanlon February 26th, 2006 07:26 PM

Alan,

Would there any potential problem that I'd be mixing Sony and Canon tape drives?

Leigh

Vic Owen February 26th, 2006 08:49 PM

Mixing drives should not be significant, as long as you aren't using LP speed. As far as tapes, there has been a long standing warning that you shouldn't mix tape lubrication schemes, e.g., the Sony "wet" types opposed to the Panasonic type "dry" types. I don't think it is still the issue that it once was; however, for peace of mind, I stick with just one type -- in my case, the Panasonic Master series. Most will recommend that you settle on one brand, and if it becomes necessary to switch, to clean your heads with one of the approved head cleaning tapes before switching.

John L Scott March 7th, 2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic Owen
John --

Nice to see the Fairbanks post. I lived in Hamilton Acres back in the 70s. I worked for the FAA at the Murphy Dome radar facility. Did a little gold panning in the tailings back then, too.

I lived in Hamilton Acres when I first moved there. I bet you know of the house too. It was a little log home that was built in the 40s or 50s. Just off Trainergate.. I am sure a lot has changed since the 70s here!
If you got to do a little pannin in the tailings your a sourdough for sure ;)

Vic Owen March 7th, 2006 09:53 PM

Yeah, I think I remember seeing it. As I recall, I'd sometimes use Trainor Gate Rd on my way to the Steese. I lived at 204 Eureka Ave. Seems like a long time ago, and I imagine the area has changed a lot. While I was there, the pipeline construction was in full swing -- there was a huge yard of pipe stored off the Steese. Glad I did it, but I have to say, I don't miss the "It's Springtime in Alaska and it's 40 below....." stuff....! A summer visit sounds better!

Jacob Ehrichs March 7th, 2006 09:58 PM

I looked for one that could also to analog to digital conversion so I could capture some of my VHS. The Canon ZR series is capable of this but the 2 I've tried, I have been unsucessful in getting it working. Worked great with the PD150, but I wouldn't buy the 150 for that sort of use. :)

Chris Shaeffer March 9th, 2006 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Ehrichs
I looked for one that could also to analog to digital conversion so I could capture some of my VHS.

I just picked up on old Sony TRV9 for just that reason. Cheap playback deck, cheap static cam for wide cover shots when I'm doing 1-man shoots, and analog through. I doubt I'll use the analog through much, but that's what sold me on it- other than being pretty affordable because its been around a while. As long as I'm investing in something it might as well fill as many functions as possible.

Also makes a great fanny pack video cam. There are smaller machines on the market these days, but... they all cost a lot more. :)

And its a top loader. How ever thought bottom loaders were a good idea?!

Take care,
Chris

Mark Donnell March 9th, 2006 11:20 AM

HDV vs DV tape

I recently noticed that Sony is selling "higher quality" DV tape for use in HDV camcorders. Its about twice the price of good DV tape. I am strictly a Panasonic DVX-100 DV user. Any reasons to switch to this new tape ?

Leo Pepingco March 11th, 2006 04:20 AM

Sony claims that HDV footage will never drop out with these new tapes.

DV Tape + DV camera / Dropouts = A few frames.

DV Tape + HDV camera / Dropouts = Up to as much of a second and theoretically much more

HDV tape + HDV camera / Dropouts = Sony's marketing ploy to force you to buy thier products to prevent your work getting lost by technology that supposedly causes dropouts as a side effect of HDV compression into a DV tape. Which to me, is hard to belive they could not fix this - or any other company for that matter me thinks... The Bas*ards