DV Tape for XL1 or XL1S - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 16th, 2002, 10:24 PM   #46
Inner Circle

I shoot nothing but Fuji.

Went through dozens of tapes without a problem. So far. Knock on wood.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 11:25 PM   #47
Regular Crew

tape?

I use panasonic in my Xl1 sony excellence or dvcam in my pd100a/pd150 (pd150 when they loan it to me) so far no problems, the biggest thing seems to be find one and stick with it...

michel
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2002, 05:32 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I use Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ's for shoots in my XL1S and I keep my History Reel on a Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ.

However, I have now, for the second time experienced a problem. When I went to a pro post-production facility to record v/o and do the final mix, they only had Sony DVCAM VTR's (didn't get the model #). So my edit was recorded onto my MQ in a Sony deck. Plays back fine in the Sony deck but when I try to play it back from my camera (don't have my own VTR) there is no audio and the picture does like a strobe effect. (I'll have to try to find the right forum for this problem).

The first time I had a similar problem, they made me a copy on a Sony tape and it played back fine through my XL1S.

Guess that throws a spanner in the works. Still, the PQ's (shot about 15 hours on them) work great.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 06:46 AM   #49
Trustee

I only use FUJI ME. Been using it for over two years and never a problem. I used it from cold temps. to the Amazon. Low humidity to 100% humidity. Never had a problem or a jam. Bob Safay
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2002, 07:15 AM   #50
Outer Circle

I too use Fuji. Here's a bit about miniDV tape.

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2002, 10:33 AM   #51
Regular Crew

used tapes. don't be cheap.

I had a bunch of used tapes my friend gave me. thought I'd use it for practice. figured since its a digital signal, it should overwrite it clean, and there should be no problem. There seems to be dropoffs every now and then, and i can't capture right. can anybody fill me in on details about this?
Takeshi
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #52
New Boot

Hi,

I've owned two XL1S's so far. The first one I shoot and edited on three full Sony 60 tapes withou a hitch. I purchased a second XL1S the other day and a five pack of Panasonic 90 LP. The first tape I used on my new camera kept stopping on rewind and displaying the message "remove tape". I opened the door to find the tape not sinching up. So I manualy sinched up the tape and tried again. This time it got caught on something inside and I had to break the tape to remove the cartridge. I wrote it off as a fluke untill I had the same problem again a second and finaly a third time before giving up. I went back to one of my Sony tapes and havn't had a problem since. I have to admit I didn't exspect to see so many people posting GOOD luck with their panasonic tapes and their is another post about someone else complaining about it being the XL1S's fault posting the heading, "back to canon for the second time".
BobKloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:27 AM   #53
New Boot

I had to pay $600SD to get my XL1s head changed after switching to a Panasonic from Sony. I had barely shot around 10 hours till then.
I too strongly believe to stick to one brand as it was a hell of a experience to get my camera repaired.
Rajesh Puttaswamaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 01:43 AM   #54
Outer Circle

I only use FUJI (for about 4 years now). And I've never yet had any problems with FUJI. In fact, I haven't had to clean my heads since I started using FUJI.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #55
Major Player

I use SONY Premium (non chip), cos I just got in the habbit from using them with Hi-8 format for years, an being in a Uni sponsored by Sony. Plus they have had special offers for Sony, so I have stuck with them the whole time. Never had any problems!

But is there much difference with the Panasonic ones? Just seems Panasonic and Fuji are the top answers. You guys know something I dont? or is Panasonic just cheaper in the USA?
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #56
Major Player

Hey MODs can I not have a cooler title than "NEW BOOT" ????. Just soemthing a bit more classy!!!... :)
Old January 24th, 2003, 02:18 PM   #57
Warden

Your a new boot until you have 25 posts if I remember correctly. The title goes with our Texan, western theme, hence wranglers etc.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #58
Major Player

Well Yee Haw Cowboys! I can see the Western theme now.... just like being back in Idaho when I lived there for a couple of years!

So how many posts to become a Sheriff??? hahaha
Old January 24th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #59
Major Player

Panasonic ala like the above people mentioned.

I recommend not ever taping LP. A friend of mine showed me the tape from his XL1S and the audio/video screwed up/staired all over what a client paid $$$$ for. It was a one shot deal and a repetative client. LP doesn't pay...

My two copper heads...

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #60
Major Player

I never touch LP even with a 10ft barge pole!. I must be mad or like torture with money costs, but i never even use the same tape twice. Just have a "test" tape that I use if I need to have a tape just to mess around with, where i dont care about the quality. But even then I never use LP with that. I had a bad experience a long time ago and never ever used LP since. The quality was bad, and maybe running slower makes the tape more prone to heat or more friction or something (im not a techno physicist know it all) so just never use LP.

If you get paid for your work, there no probs with tape money. But if you dont and its a hobby, well tapes are about $5 (if my USD estimates correct) here so just do without a six-pack for a day Or what I do and buy slight out-of-date food or On-Specials then you have tape money. ;)
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line