DV Tape for XL1 or XL1S - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 19th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #91
Outer Circle

My wife's cousin is a professional photographer and videography, mainly shooting weddings. He also owns a photo shop/studio. He swears by Fuji miniDV for his XL1. So do I.

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 05:44 AM   #92
Major Player

Hi Cristoph.

Something is wrong. After 30/35 hours of camera use they change video heads and the tape holding mechanism? Where you experiencing any problems with the camera? If not, I think you were ripped off.

About tapes, I use Panasonic MQ and PQ and have been a happy customer. And I reuse my tapes, wich is considered a bit of a "sin" in the video community.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #93
Major Player

I've been taping at LP on Sony tapes for over 3 years on the XL1. - Never had any problem with the speed. I shoot events and really need the 90 minutes. Once in a while something comes up where I need more time and I've used the panasonic 80's. Apparently a big mistake.

There's an event that runs just under 2 hours every spring, - every May I go to the Canon service center shortly after the tape switch. I never connected the two until reading the messages in this forum. Light bulb time. (By-the-way, they charge me a flat $254.40)

Now, I bring my full size deck to the shoot, - fortunately it's tripod time. Just firewire to the 180 min. deck (sometimes I put in a DVCam tape and get an extra hour), not Firestore, but it works. Still have to capture to Premiere.

Oh yeah, I use my mini DVs 5 times for actual events then use them for set ups and misc. At around 15 recordings I dump them.
No problems so far (Well, except for those times after the tape switch.)

Hey, maybe I won't have to hit the service center this year! Nah, I'll probably do the annual $254. just for peace of mind.

Brad Tyrrell
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #94
Regular Crew

SP or LP Tape

Ok.....

Another can of worms....

I've searched for this and read peoples' posts....but can't find a definitive answer to the question:
What real difference does using LP over SP have when using Mini DV?

I've used both SP and LP...and I really can't see any/much difference whatsoever...!

Aren't we recording digitally anyway, so therefore the information is still the same...?!

Please help....
I really DON'T understand why I should ALWAYS use SP for recording...!!!!

Thanks
Nick Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #95
Regular Crew

I'd like to know too

This is not an expert response but I think what you say is more or less right. If everything is working perfectly, there shouldn't be any difference between SP and LP mode.

BUT, given the fact mini DV is so prone to drop outs, artie-facts(sic) and other nasties, why take the risk of making matters even worse by slowing the tape down to get a few extra minutes shooting time on a cassette?

Here's hoping someone who really knows what they're talking about will join this thread.
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #96
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Nick,
As you suggest, DV is a digital, not an analog, medium. The actual recording to the tape is the same series of 1's and 0's in either mode.

However, in LP mode the tape is moving past the heads much more slowly. This means that the footage is recorded on significantly less area of the tape (on a per time unit basis). Hence, there's less room for error recovery.

LP is also not nearly as device compatible as SP. It's common to hear of people unable to play back an LP tape in cameras or decks different from the original recorder, even when the second device is the same brand and model of the recorder.

Bottom lines: (a) tape is relatively inexpensive, (b) your safest bet is to use SP for anything you consider important.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #97
Regular Crew

Mini DV Tape Choice

I know there has been much said about tapes on many threads on many forums, but I'm still faced with a decision that I can't answer myself.

Some of the tapes that have been quoted on threads have referred to tapes that are branded in different Countries to the one I am in...(UK)

My choice is this.

I have a new XL1s, and would like to use SP and LP for various shoots and have seen two brands of tape that I would like to use, and stick with for the life of the camera record heads.

The choice is:

Sony DV Premium 60 mins (red labelled box)
or
Panasonic DVC Linear plus (suitable for LP recording)

The sony tape is primarily a SP tape, and the Panasonic says due to the Linear Plus technology (whatever that is) it is suited well for LP recording.

Any ideas on which one is probably the better one to go for...?!

Thanks
Nick Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:44 AM   #98
Sponsor: JET DV

Personally, I use the Panasonic Master series (both 63 and 83 minute tapes). It's a step UP from the Linear Plus series.

I also avoid LP mode in the camera. I DO use it sometimes on my deck. There's fewer compatibility issues when you stick with SP mode.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #99
Major Player

I use Sonys without any problems. The point is to choose a tape brand and stick with it. If you search the posts on this site theres lots about peoples preference for tapes. Some use Panasonic, others Sony, JVC, Maxell, etc....but whatever tape people use, they all agree not to swap to another brand after using one brand for a long time or you can effect the tape heads.

Just search for the topic there's lots of previous posts on this issue. The tapes in the UK are the same, just packaging slightly different, probably for just most to include more languages explanations for euro market, Panasonic DVM60 have EK on end denote european type, if im correct. Most top tape brands in USA I have seen in UK as well. It just depends where you buy them from as to what make they sell. The Panasonics normally are slighlty cheaper in the UK, than Sony's but only difference in couple of pence.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #100
Major Player

Tape brands

The XL1 that I have inherited at my job has always had Sony DVC60 tape used with it. Is it generally not good to switch tape brands once the unit has been used repeatedly with one formulation or brand? What tapes do most of you use and why?

Dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #101
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Dave,

We have an entire forum dedicated to this very topic: see The Long Black Line.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:27 PM   #102
Major Player

Thanks Chris. Apologies to all for starting an obviously overdone thread.

dave
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #103
Wrangler

After you've read about tape, you might want to check this forum too since it is in the same neighborhood:
Direct-to-Disk (Tapeless) Recording

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #104
Tourist

dv tape(film)

I just purchased a XL1s and the previous owner said that he only used panasonic pro tapes in this camera. Does that mean I should continue on using this brand?

is there a big difference in pro quality vs. standard dv tapes, I certainly know the price is?

One last question is it advisable to blankout a tape after use or does it sacrifice the picture quality.

Thanks
Rob.
Rob Ketting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #105
Major Player

yes, it is advisable you stay with panasonic tapes. lubricants vary from brand to brand, and when you start mixing different lubricants, a goop will start forming on your heads.

striping a standard 60 minute dv tape is not a problem. i'm not sure about the 90 minute ones, as the actual tape is a bit thinner. maybe someone else can speak to that.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line